where to start???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default where to start???

Im newly registered and at moment I only have 1 3yo only after school for 2 hrs.

I have printed off pages of development matter appropriate to age and now im a tad overwhelmed at just where to start!...

Any help or guidance would be a massive help x

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Start with the child.

Use DM as a tool, not a straightjacket. Ask your LA if they do a cut-down version of DM as a 'tracker' - these usually concentrate on the 3 'prime' areas of development.

Check your nearest big library (or inter-library loans service) for books such as:-

• (Penny Tassoni) Practical EYFS Handbook Heinemann Publishing
    • (Sheila Riddall-Leech) How to Observe Children Heinemann Publishing

The first title is based on pre-2012 EYFS but still contains much that is useful. The second title caused the librarian to give me a funny look until I assured her my intentions were entirely honourable.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, forgot I was using The Name That Must Never Be Uttered.

"Someone" = P-e-n-n-y

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha...Thanks x

Right I have looked through DM and ticked elements that child can be observed doing...As it is my starting point for this child do have to write an observation for each element met as a starting point or just as he meets a new element while in my setting?

Thanks x

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you got a copy of early years outcomes? As that's meant to be used instead of DM matters now (although you can still use DM for reference)

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolineRussen View Post
    Ha ha...Thanks x

Right I have looked through DM and ticked elements that child can be observed doing...As it is my starting point for this child do have to write an observation for each element met as a starting point or just as he meets a new element while in my setting?

Thanks x
    The anecdotal evidence from recently-inspected CMs suggests Ofsted are looking for us to know where a child is at and what we're doing to promote the 'next steps'.

Whilst I guess they'll accept that a lot of that knowledge is 'in our heads', I don't believe there's ever any harm in writing stuff down (+photos, etc.) as evidence. Written/pictoral evidence should be a tool: to show progress over time to parents; to remind the CM; and to show you're working with parents/other settings (eg. entries like "mummy says X took first steps on Saturday" or "preschool suggested we do some additional work on shapes" etc.) It should not be come an obsession, even if it occasionally becomes a drag .

Definitely do a written 'starting point'. You can only prove how long the journey has been if you can prove where it started from.

How much or how little you do will depend a lot on your way of working. I probably do more written/photo stuff than most CMs. This isn't cos I'm better than them (which I aint), it's cos I'm different to them: my mind and memory respond to seeing things on paper.

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic. I too love writing things down and seeing things on paper or I forget things, ha ha.

Right so do I just write perhaps a short report as such with his starting points for example what elements he has already met and what hus next steps will be. Use that as a starting point for further observations.

Think ive cracked it... well in my head! :-) Another quick question I have is how do you store everything? An individual folder per child with all obs and learning journal, contracts, permissions contact dets?.... Or do u separate and have a folder for all contact details, one for contracts etc.etc? At min its all a minefield but it is kept in a locked cupboard.

:-)