Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Medium term planning

Evening,

So, I have been wondering what the best way of doing my medium planning would be? I have only been minding since Sepember, and had been planning on a week by week basis, as only had the one mindee, and this worked. I am expecting my ofsted inspection in March, roughly, and have been thinking that I would be expected to have medium term planning in place too. I have seen many templates which have boxes for each of the 7 areas of learning, in which you should list activities which link to that certain areas of learning. I am of the feeling that it is good practice to plan activities which cover more than one area of learning. So, my question, is that for medium term planning, would it be acceptable to list the various activities, like in a spider chart for example, and then under each activity, show which areas of learning the activity links to? Does that make sense? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to do this had a short term plan (weekly) medium term (roughly 12 weeks) and year plan (mostly celebrations)
    I stopped as was fed up of duplicating, I had the overall theme in the middle with the areas of learning round the outside and spider graphed off ideas to each area. But then I would be writing the same ideas on the weekly plan as well. It was all very much group planning not really individual even though I wrote one out for each child.

No way could I keep up all that paper work so Now I do a weekly plan , its a mix of group and individual,planning, medium term is one for each individual child as identified from the bi annual Summative assesment and yearly which is a calendar of events such as Christmas, spring, etc.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I just do monthly individual plans and yearly ones detailing festivals. Don't want to make more paperwork for myself than I have to

I work mostly to the child's interests and these change all the time so it's hard to plan any further ahead and don't want to do weekly ones as all my children are part time and can't fit everything in a week

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a half termly spider type diagram as my medium term planning - fill in festivals to celebrate, childrens birthdays, general topic we might cover and then write activity ideas in each area of learning, it doesn't take long and actually it is quite useful!

Simona Guest

Short, medium and long term planning were very much used in EYFS 2008...not sure how many people still do those although some LAs appear to require them...no mention of them in EYFS 12

For me planning for each child is short, medium and long terms because we plan what we want them to achieve or which outcome we are working with them to support falls in one of those categories

Including festivals and celebrations or the seasons can be included as long as the children are at that age and stage to understand what we are trying to teach them...no point in doing Valentine cards with a 1 year old is there?

I am sure that many will disagree but would be good to share what they do