Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Tracking

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracking

For those who use a tracking sheet, do you have to have a written observation on every development statement within an age/stage band in order to say they're meeting that age/stage band? For example, under one of the areas of psed there's a statement that says "growing sense of will and determination results in feelings of frustration- may have tantrums"- that's not the sort of behaviour I'd usually include in an ob as I try to keep them positive. Can anyone shed light?

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As discussed on another thread:

The statements are just suggestions of possible things a possible child might do at each age/stage- we are not trying to find a child doing each statement or matching what a child does to each statement. Just looking for a 'best fit' when reading all statements in an age/stage.

3. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that that should certainly be the way it is- but my LA hand out tracking sheets to CMs which ask you to periodically (e.g. termly) state which stage a child is at for each sub-area of learning, using an "e" to say that they are emerging in that age/stage band (quote: "some elements observed"), or an "m" to say that they are meeting that age/stage band (quote: "all elements observed"). I feel a bit torn really, as this is CLEARLY using the DM statements or EYO as a ticklist, which is what the DM document specifically says we should not use it as, but on the other hand, my ofsted lady at my pre-reg approved the use of the tracker I showed her and reassured me that it doesn't count as a ticklist! Why can't things be simple!!?!

Post Thanks / Like

A growing sense of will and determination is a positive that can presented in a negative way. Don't be afraid to record what you actually observe it can be a great reassurance to parents/carers that you tell it as it is and that their child is "normal" with you especially if they are struggling. Children need to go through this stage to varying degrees to achieve their next step, tiny babies often first roll over/reach a toy whilst yelling in frustration x

6. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by watford wizz View Post
    A growing sense of will and determination is a positive that can presented in a negative way. Don't be afraid to record what you actually observe it can be a great reassurance to parents/carers that you tell it as it is and that their child is "normal" with you especially if they are struggling. Children need to go through this stage to varying degrees to achieve their next step, tiny babies often first roll over/reach a toy whilst yelling in frustration x
    So so true... it is good to observe how they get frustrated and then months later that frustration has gone because of the progress made
    Another one is pointing endlessly and we trying to understand what they are trying to say...

Redtiger21...you can adapt your way of doing things to the forms your LA provides...
    I have never understood the ones my network gave me and in return she could not understand how I planned but I did because it was 'my system' not hers...I left the network because of this as I needed to do things the way I could explain to Ofsted...it worked for me

I also did not understand trackers because they seemed a tick list...observing a child for the Next steps we plan is tracking progress and that is simple...I feel your frustration

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    I agree that that should certainly be the way it is- but my LA hand out tracking sheets to CMs which ask you to periodically (e.g. termly) state which stage a child is at for each sub-area of learning, using an "e" to say that they are emerging in that age/stage band (quote: "some elements observed"), or an "m" to say that they are meeting that age/stage band (quote: "all elements observed"). I feel a bit torn really, as this is CLEARLY using the DM statements or EYO as a ticklist, which is what the DM document specifically says we should not use it as, but on the other hand, my ofsted lady at my pre-reg approved the use of the tracker I showed her and reassured me that it doesn't count as a ticklist! Why can't things be simple!!?!
    Early Years Outcomes should not be used as a tick list / highlighted list - it says so clearly on the website page -

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...years-outcomes

It is an idea - a suggestion - a guide to what a child might be doing / saying. They will also do / say thousands of other things.

You are looking, as DfE say, for similar things in the child's observations. I have written some info here
    Attached Files Attached Files

9. Likes Smiley liked this post