Linking observastions.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Linking observastions.

I have attached a copy of my observation form and the DM I use. (I got it from here, but just edited it slightly to add numbers)

I will do an observation on a child, and will then write where it links to DM so for example if a 14mth old was pushing a car about and making the noises to go with it, I would put in the DM section of the Ob, 6.2.1 (6 being Speaking, 2 being 8-20mths, 1 being 'uses sounds in play...') just saves me having to write it all down.

Firstly, I want to know/check that this is an okay way of doing it. I do not use it as 'tick list' I have done obs, where there is no statement, so made my own one up as it was relevant.

But with this EYO thing, would I be better doing this with the EYO form, for Ofsted, instead of still using DM, or do I carry on with DM, or use them both together?

How do you do obs and linking?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, that sounds like a really good way of doing it! I write what the child did, then write an evaluation of what this corresponds with on the DM/EYO (same wording anyway), and what age/stage band this covers. I do like the idea if writing it in your own wording if there's no statement that covers it, as that's what frustrates me is when I see a child do something and think "ooh I'll write that down!" and then can't link it to anything! xx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Your observation sheet whilst it's bigger contains all the info mine does so yes I'd say that's the way to go from my point of view.
    I also track but using a different sheet, mines more about tracking the types of observations I do than tracking what the chikd can do in each area although this comes into it too.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    ... I do like the idea if writing it in your own wording if there's no statement that covers it, as that's what frustrates me is when I see a child do something and think "ooh I'll write that down!" and then can't link it to anything! xx
    You only need to 'link' obs to the Area, like PD, CL etc. You do not need to try to find an exact statement or even an Aspect for each obs.

The statements are just suggestions of possible things a possible child might do at each age/stage- we are not trying to find a child doing each statement or matching what a child does to each statement. Just looking for a 'best fit' when reading all statements in an age/stage.

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Moggy- that kind of helps answer the question that I've just begun a thread on! x