Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 13
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help please regarding feedback from Ofsted inspection

Hi

I had my first graded inspection today and am really pleased to have got a good grade. However following the inspectors comments and my own evaluation I know I need to improve my obs, assessments and individual planning but really find this hard (I have learning difficulties so this thing isnt easy for me).

I do childrens starting points and use a progress tracker to make a note of what age range they are in for the different areas of learning and if they are developing, entering or secure in that area. Each child had a six weekly plan that lists interests and ideas for next steps but I dont think its detailed enough and I need to do weekly plans for each child but am unsure if it should always have next steps and if these next steps are always linked to getting a child to a next stage in their development or is just reinforcing/enhancing current interests? Hope that makes sense.

she also didnt think I had a good enough overview of where each child was in their development. I use ****** online system at the minute and the achievements on there is a bit like a tick list on early years outcomes that you add photos and obs to to show achievements but now thinking I should be using the tracker on a more regular basis but I was wondering how often?

I know a lot of people dont always like what ofsted say but I do agree with what she said and feel I need to have better planning and some way of tracking progress to then use in progress summaries. I have got some of Sarahs e-books which are great but I am still struggling. I have dyspraxia so planning and processing information is incredibly hard for me. Any help appreciated please. X

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on getting a Good grade. It sounds like what you are doing is fine, more detailed plans doesn't mean they are better,I find my little ones often go 'off plan'. so I just follow what their interests are. Reflect for a few days then have a re-think if that is what you think you need to do.

June 13
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I am just wondering how I should be tracking progress. I do obs and next steps etc but they wanted to see an actual overview of progress???

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a list of the outcomes. Go through them every 6 months and highlight what a child can do (different colour each 6 months) this shows the new things they have learnt in the 6 months and also allows you to see areas the children have not achieved yet so you can make these a focus in your planning

June 13
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a developmental tracker where you can mark what age group each child is at for each area of learning and was doing this every six months but got a major telling off that this wasn't nearly enough and I should be doing it more often

With observations I am confused as to whether you just record wow moments and developmental acheivements or if you also do observations to record current interests, favourite past times and during adult led activities? With outcomes such as uses single words C+L do you record this as acheived when they start using single words or are securely and confidently doing it?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by csherr80 View Post
    Hi

I had my first graded inspection today and am really pleased to have got a good grade. However following the inspectors comments and my own evaluation I know I need to improve my obs, assessments and individual planning but really find this hard (I have learning difficulties so this thing isnt easy for me).

I do childrens starting points and use a progress tracker to make a note of what age range they are in for the different areas of learning and if they are developing, entering or secure in that area. Each child had a six weekly plan that lists interests and ideas for next steps but I dont think its detailed enough and I need to do weekly plans for each child but am unsure if it should always have next steps and if these next steps are always linked to getting a child to a next stage in their development or is just reinforcing/enhancing current interests? Hope that makes sense.

she also didnt think I had a good enough overview of where each child was in their development. I use ****** online system at the minute and the achievements on there is a bit like a tick list on early years outcomes that you add photos and obs to to show achievements but now thinking I should be using the tracker on a more regular basis but I was wondering how often?

I know a lot of people dont always like what ofsted say but I do agree with what she said and feel I need to have better planning and some way of tracking progress to then use in progress summaries. I have got some of Sarahs e-books which are great but I am still struggling. I have dyspraxia so planning and processing information is incredibly hard for me. Any help appreciated please. X

You did very well and need to recognise that...what you are talking about is training and support which at the moment is hard to get from our LAs
    some still offer it...some not ...some only concentrate on RI/Inadequate cms

I would approach your EY team and tell them...the question I would ask is how do they intend to support you in keeping the grade in future and to support the recommendations Ofsted have put in their report...if you yourself have additional needs in your learning they need to look at that..how can they support you?

Also your LA will get the report from Ofsted anyway...
    Do they have any courses on obs, planning and assessment? can anyone visit you to help with your planning?

I hope you get the help you need.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say you need a weekly plan for each child you could have a weekly plan and on it mark each activity that follows a child's interest or next step....take a breather after your inspection and start at the beginning. I used BDs but ditched it in favour of going back to paper for many reasons and I much prefer it, it didn't give you the options to do the paperwork in a way that I liked, also printing it out to show Ofsted did not give good results.

Are your starting points robust enough, make sure your all about me and info from parents is then logged on an initial starting points assessment sheet and then mark those starting points on your tracker and as you say whether they are Emerging, Secure or Developing in that area. Then note a couple of next steps - I have a separate piece of paper at the front of the LJ where I list the next steps and current interests....so I write the next step/interest then what activities I will do to support this, what area of learning it links to and then date it when we have achieved it, everyone has a sheet which is then easy to make plans from. So then I make an observation Eg child x managed to put 2 pieces of a wooden puzzle in the correct places unaided....then the next step might be Practise wooden puzzles to encourage dexterity and so child x can place 4 pieces (sorry not a very good example)......write that on my next steps sheet - link it to PD and MM. Then on my plan for the next week write on it somewhere - Have wooden puzzles out (Initials of child x next to it with next step). WHen achieved next step mark as achieved under obs. Then every quarter I do an overall progress assessment and send folder home. I ask parents to comment and also to comment on what their child is doing at the moment at home - you can then add interests at home to your next step sheet. Every 4-6 months I update the progress tracker to show progress.....Then these next steps can influence your planned activities and write them on weekly plan too. A lot of my children are one or two days a week so I don't do a weekly plan for each child but for a full timer this may be appropriate....don't panic!!! you got a GOOD.....brilliant

8. Likes TJF liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the progress tracker? Is it something you do just to get tot he child's starting points or is it something you update regularly?
    In order to know where a chikd is developmentally and where they need to go next you need observations accross the areas of learning, know where they fall in the age brackets and have clear steps how you will develop them on.

Sounds like you are doing all the paperwork but possibly as you are new to it don't fully understand it or haven't had time to know it all inside out, this comes over time. Give yourself a break.

You are obviously doing a great job to get good for your grade you need to celebrate and has Simona has suggested try and enlist on further training. Do you have any childminder groups locally where you could share good practice, being that you have dyspraxia a visual example would be easier for you.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I note development every 6 months - but I do lots of other things in between such as showing how i teach children, focussing on observations and next steps, working with parents etc. I can confidently show that over time I am supporting learning and development - it's a slow plod not a sprint!

Relax and give yourself a pat on the back. You have done really well