What's everyone's system for observations?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's everyone's system for observations?

Hi, I haven't been childminding long and am keen to know other people's system for observing a child from when they start with you. I'm not overly sure about my system yet and I may need to tweak it. So far, for the first 5-6weeks I make as many observations as I can over all areas of learning (mainly prime as all mine are under 3), evaluate each observation against the EYO and make a 'next step' for each one. But as I make so many observations in those first weeks (literally as much evidence as I can get), that makes for a lot of next steps, and it's then hard to plan to accommodate them all. After 5-6 weeks I write a summary/review of where they are on each area of learning, and plot out the tracking sheet, and do an 'individual plan' or PLODS sheet for the coming term. And once that's done, I move onto observing the child once a week, but I try to cover more than one area of learning with the observation, and try to get evidence on an EYO that they haven't had yet, or aren't secure in.

What do other people do? I feel mine could be altered somehow!

Maria x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would class all the observations you did in the first 5 or 6 weeks as getting to know the child's starting points and interests, I wouldn't have written them all up as full observations with a next step for each but would have used the Development Matters to mark where that child is NOW at. When you have the starting points and interests you can then start planning and providing resources. Your system sounds very thorough but if it involves lots of paperwork can you maintain it when you take on more children. I have 7 part time mindees and seriously need to rethink my paperwork as I am always 2 months behind.

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i'm planning on only doing one ob a month on each of my one day a week a children, and maybe 2 on those who come more often ... and only 'wow' events! ...

so ... although I was working last thurs/fri I wasn't going to do any obs ... we were at the zoo, in the education centre and there were pictures to colour - 4yr old LO saw a picture of penguins ... told me what he knew about penguins/we'd seen them being fed, and chatted to the keeper. he then chose appropriate colours, and using a big photo on the wall - coloured the penguin as per the photo !! ... ONE ob.

same child at home; wanted pen & paper and drew a map from zoo to my house, complete with 'x marks the spot', but wiggly dotted road, road signs, drawing of zoo and then my house! oh, and added fallen down trees blocking the road ( not that we saw any of those! ) ... he said he hadn't been doing them at school and neither had we be doing them! ANOTHER OB!

and then another child (also 4 yrs )the next day - helped me to set up all the 'profiles' on my tablet by taking photos of other children and putting their names in by herself! ... AN OB!

i'm just going to have to put these children in boxes to stop them doing interesting things!!!

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Hectors House- so when getting the initial observations for starting points, what sort of form would you enter them onto, or would you not write them as observations at all, just write a general summary for each area of learning as the starting points, as well as the tracking sheet?

Sept 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Loocyloo- when you say do an observation per month/fortnight, do you mean one that covers several areas of learning at once, or do you just focus on the child's development in one area each Month? When you write up the obs, do you write down every Early Years Outcome statement and age/stage bracket that it links to? X

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all not sure how I thread a new post on here, but as you was discussing obs I have a little girl starting with me soon who's age 3 and attends pre school for 15 hours, as her nursery are doing her a profile do I still need to do one?? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just written a blog about observations to try and answer some members questions - you might find it interesting

Sarah's Blog: Observations and the EYFS

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheebs10 View Post
    Hi all not sure how I thread a new post on here, but as you was discussing obs I have a little girl starting with me soon who's age 3 and attends pre school for 15 hours, as her nursery are doing her a profile do I still need to do one?? Any help will be appreciated thanks.
    Pheebs10 to start a new thread you go to the area of the forum where you want to post the question - and then click on the 'new thread' button.

Admin will move it for you if you get it wrong so please don't worry!

Yes to answer your question - you still need to write information about the child's learning and development and work in partnership with the other setting as much as possible.

If you only see the child part time then you won't have a lot to write of course ... but you need to show how you are helping the child to make progress.

Hth

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redtiger21 View Post
    Loocyloo- when you say do an observation per month/fortnight, do you mean one that covers several areas of learning at once, or do you just focus on the child's development in one area each Month? When you write up the obs, do you write down every Early Years Outcome statement and age/stage bracket that it links to? X
    Ummm ... Well I'm doing at least one ob for every 2 days a child is with me and sometimes more! Usually I notice something they are doing and take photo or write ob. I then link it to whichever and as many areas it covers and usually choose just one area to link a next step to.

I just put (for example) ... PSED;self confidence and self awareness, making relationships. CL;speaking.

If there is an area I am concerned about or want to focus on, then I will do an observation purely on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thank you x