Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Attention span

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attention span

Hi,
    I know each child is individual and there is no set rule, but Just wondered...
    I have a 'young ' 3 yr old, 4 in June so starting school sept. He's the youngest 3 yr old I've had. He has a low concentration span, always has. 5 mins tops at any activity unless it's trains. I have incorporated all things AOL but wanted to try and expand his play. Am I wrong to think 5 mins tops, each activity , if they are engrossed and enjoying it during that time , is not long? Most of my children, will extend play for hours. I'm not expecting this , but due to school I'm thinking he needs to move it up a notch soon. He won't sit through a whole story, goldilocks length, so we read v short books etc and using props I try and engage him, but he just throws stuff and goes off elsewhere.
    Is this ok for that age??or am I expecting too much!
    Thanks x

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure attention span should be double their age so six minutes totally engrossed would be average.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by littlemiss60561 View Post
    Hi,
    I know each child is individual and there is no set rule, but Just wondered...
    I have a 'young ' 3 yr old, 4 in June so starting school sept. He's the youngest 3 yr old I've had. He has a low concentration span, always has. 5 mins tops at any activity unless it's trains. I have incorporated all things AOL but wanted to try and expand his play. Am I wrong to think 5 mins tops, each activity , if they are engrossed and enjoying it during that time , is not long? Most of my children, will extend play for hours. I'm not expecting this , but due to school I'm thinking he needs to move it up a notch soon. He won't sit through a whole story, goldilocks length, so we read v short books etc and using props I try and engage him, but he just throws stuff and goes off elsewhere.
    Is this ok for that age??or am I expecting too much!
    Thanks x
    'Unless it's trains'...that shows the child can concentrate when he is following his own interests and therefore the Characteristics of Effective Learning kick in
    Use the train activity to 'extend' his learning and introduce other topics of learning...trains play can show learning in PSED, CL and PD too in the Prime Areas and then all the Specific Areas after age 3.
    When reading a story try one with trains and see if he engages better...again you are following his interests there.
    Throwing stuff means he is frustrated but you can try to engage him by participation and using topics he is interested in.

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for replies x