next steps, arghhh!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default next steps, arghhh!

I have 5 little ones now and struggling to think of next steps for them. Last week we did tower building, sticking and other activities.
    I have a 2yr old who likes the kitchen and food
    A 2 yr old who loves cars and wheels
    A 1 yr old who likes the discovery bottles and fabrics
    An 18mth old who also likes cars and looking through transparent things.

They all like different things. Ive just thought though the 1 yr old who likes fabrics is in on the same day as the 18mth old who likes looking through things so perhaps I could do a group activity?

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

With continuous play provision you lay out the relevant resources and let them choose ... No need for this level of adult initiated activities and anxiety it is causing you in my opinion .
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

3. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know what the children enjoy doing so follow their leads... then look at activities everyone can do for short bursts through the day - or maybe just a couple of children while the others continue playing their own games -

We make playdough most weeks and everyone enjoys that... we do painting with the fat painting pens and they all take a turn... things like that

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a pile of different sized cardboard boxes, some cardboard tubes, some pieces of fabric (old scarves, pashminas), some sheer fabric and cellophane, add some cars and they can build towers, post cars down the tubes, hide things in the boxes, wrap things up including themselves in the fabric.

Sometimes the next steps are repeat the activity as once they have done an activity with you they may show more independence and have their own ideas next time. I have an Easter activity where they colour in different shapes from a colouring sheet, cut them out, assemble them on another piece of paper to make an Easter chick - obviously we wait until Easter before we repeat it, but one year they just scribble on the shapes and stick them on paper when I have cut them out, the next year they may be starting to use scissors but can't cut round the shape yet and their colouring will be improved, the next year they can do it all themselves!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    How about a pile of different sized cardboard boxes, some cardboard tubes, some pieces of fabric (old scarves, pashminas), some sheer fabric and cellophane, add some cars and they can build towers, post cars down the tubes, hide things in the boxes, wrap things up including themselves in the fabric.

Sometimes the next steps are repeat the activity as once they have done an activity with you they may show more independence and have their own ideas next time. I have an Easter activity where they colour in different shapes from a colouring sheet, cut them out, assemble them on another piece of paper to make an Easter chick - obviously we wait until Easter before we repeat it, but one year they just scribble on the shapes and stick them on paper when I have cut them out, the next year they may be starting to use scissors but can't cut round the shape yet and their colouring will be improved, the next year they can do it all themselves!
    I do like that 'excuse' to do the same activity year on year !!! no, seriously, I know what you mean, and I love seeing how more independent they become as the years pass.

one of my LO had just 'got' cutting ... we are cutting everything at the minute! yesterday I gave her an old baker ross catalogue .. she carefully cut strips and then cut the strips into squares. she filled a bag to take home ( bet mummy and daddy were thrilled with me )

8. Likes hectors house, Mouse, Goatgirl liked this post
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you thats a great activity!