Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Starting points

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting points

I'm into my third week of childminding and typical I start with all these changes coming/on the way!

So, my question is,..

Would I be ok using the new early years outcomes sheets for each child and dating what I have seen them do so far for their starting points? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to start something to then have to redo!

Thanks everyone.

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I can't help you as I want to know this question myself, but i'm watching this post with interest!!

June 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I get parents to fill out all about me form, I then observe and use development matters/early years outcomes to fill in a tracker sheet. I then fill in a short form with the seven areas of where I think child is up to or things they are interested in.them three documents make up the starting points.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

EYO and DM are NOT 'check lists' and must not be used as check lists. How you use them is up to you, but be aware that it is not a case of 'tick and date' each statement and on to the next. I make a coloured line on a chart to show a general position per aspect, 3 times a year, and from that progress is clear.

Some children will do the things on the EYO/DM lists, some will do some of them in a different order and some will do all kinds of other things and may miss out some of the things on the list completely... you need to look for a 'BEST FIT' when looking at the age bands, a general impression of where the child is in general per Area or aspect and not at exactly what each sentence says.

They might be in different age bands for different areas/aspects, that is fine, they all develop at different rates. Sometimes one area lags behind then they make a massive leap in that area and catch up. You just need to be aware and help support where they are falling behind.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Little_steps View Post
    I'm into my third week of childminding and typical I start with all these changes coming/on the way!

So, my question is,..

Would I be ok using the new early years outcomes sheets for each child and dating what I have seen them do so far for their starting points? Or am I missing something?

I don't want to start something to then have to redo!

Thanks everyone.
    It depends what you want to use the starting points for
    With a new child you can observe over, say a month, and note what 'they can do'...do a short summary of their skills and then plan the next steps or 'outcomes' you want to move the children to

I find EYO more of a check list, my view entirely, while DM is more of a reflective guidance of what you can do to support the child as a 'unique' learner, look at your positive relationship with a child, which I interpret as my teaching style and the environment provides the opportunities to support the learning

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I speak to parents and observe for a couple of weeks and highlight where they are as starting points on the EYO.
    Debbie