Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Children's starting points

I have talked about children's starting points and given ideas about how to record them in this document in free downloads -

Starting Points

I just want to update everyone please...

Ofsted inspectors are putting more emphasis on evidence of children making good progress - we cannot show a child is making good progress until we know their starting points in each area of learning.

We know that we need to start planning for children and helping them to make progress as quickly as possible when they start in our care - but we have normally said 'give them a few weeks... watch and listen'.

I think we need to revise this advice in light of the new inspection framework and the importance it is placing on accurate starting points leading to evidence of observations, assessments and quality individual planning.

New advice is -

- Speak to parents before children start with you - ask what their child can do at home - ask about all 7 areas of learning (without using confusing Eyfs terminology or scaring them witless)

- Include information about starting points in the 'all about me' / child information document you give parents before their child starts in your care

- Ask parents to update information regularly on, for example, 'all about me now' sheets - so they understand the importance of keeping you updated

- Do some quick baseline observations across all areas of learning during the child's first few sessions with you

- Start recording next steps / individual planning as quickly as possible - link to Development Matters / Early Years Outcomes and your next set of observations

- Plan to do regular SHORT summary assessments - say every 6 months - to help you show that the child is making good progress

- Link your summary assessments to Development Matters / Early Years Outcomes so you can clearly show that you are using the Eyfs guidance document to support progress.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please ask!

2. Likes Bumble Beez, primula liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sarah,

Although not strictly the same subject, do you have my tips on settling in a new starter who has previously not settled at nursery and during a settling in session today was very upset at mum leaving, only calming down when she returned. Another mindee used to cry at drop off but be alright straight away, eventually after two months being totally ok at drop off.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some children can take a very long time to settle ... Time and patience and support from parents usually resolves it :-)

5. Likes Rick liked this post
    Oct 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this Sarah. Perfect timing as I have 3 new starters in Jan so doing their settling in sessions between now and Xmas and I've made a few notes about Starting Points but didn't know how to go about it. Going to adjust my All About Me :-)

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this, its going to be useful, gonna print it out I think