Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    MAY 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it possible ?

Do you thinks its possible to 'over' observe ?
    Sometimes I sit back and look at my work and think, is it too much, am I going too deep ?

Any views ? plz

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely...my DO recommended that I only actually NEED to do 1 written observation a month per child as I was doing 2-3 a week when first registered-I do this now to show that i'm covering the EYFS and that the children are working towards their early learning goals but now I keep a daily diary where I just write bullet points for any wow moments each day ie, 'child x pedalled the trike unassisted' or 'child b fed herself with a spoon' or new words spoken and use this to check back when i'm updating their LJ's writing the date they achieved this on their development matters sheets....ofsted were happy and graded me outstanding for my planning.

MAY 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

So, do you think you can go too deep into an observation ? Where do you stop ?

Do you feel the need to prove your observations ?:

Guess what I'm trying to say is, can you to do much ?? Im not explaining myself very well

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I just take random photos most days of our play and now and then I use a 6x4 photo of the child enjoying the activity,write what we did,what the child said/if they initiated any play of their own...I then evaluate (what eyfs covered/if the activity showed them meeting any developmental milestones/how I could improve the activity) this only covers one side of A4.

At the end of the week I look through their lj's and my own diary and using a play plan from the free resources on here I write the child's interests that week and how I plan on expanding on that the following week,ie,'child x loved the water tray and boats this week so I will introduce cups and tubes to expand on this and include maths'

As I said ofsted loved this and said it was more than adequate awarding me outstanding...if you pm me I can send you a scan of one of my completed obs to see if you still think you are over-observing?

I know I used to write reams for each child and all the paperwork really made me question becoming a CM-as long as you can show ofsted that you are planning for their interests and helping them to meet their developmental milestones you're doing fine.