Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Planning

Registered Childminder since
    apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning

Hi lovely people.

I'm trying to get my focus back and would like to ask a couple of questions on child led/adult led activities

1. What is your balance on how much adult led, compared to child free play/next steps?

2. What are your adult led activities, apart from the usual cooking, circle time, art & craft ect? I'm aiming to do a list of things I can draw on when I'm stuck for ideas.

Thanks in advance
    Helen xXx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Im Very much a child led setting to be honest,so week before last three of my little ones showed an interst in Colours and numbers, (identified from obs as next step) in my planning last week was to look at books that talk about colours, look at door colours on the way home from school, look at door numbers, provided wooden numbers and against pallet with brush and wash cup so opportunity to name numbers, trace the number shape, mix and name colours.
    They are really into water play with the washed out , soap bottles so provided different coloured soaps and food colouring for mixing, they pretty much have ownership of this play I just provide extra resources and make commets to focus them on thinking about colours and numbers without them being deterred from what they are enjoying doing.

I ve always aimed for 80% child led for the days activites but obviously some of that is adult supported/guided to ensure their learning and interests are developed further.

Last week a lo asked for the story of goldilcoks and the three bears, We will be Following that interest this week, planning to record their own versions on The lady bird iPad books, puppets, dress up. Will be continuing with counting whilst re enacting the story. I have a story sack we will investigate, which I will incorporate colours and numbers into. Igenerally pencil in one activity a day but as the children's interests spins off we do so much more that is unplanned and that it turn gives me a planned activity for tomorrow.

apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    Im Very much a child led setting to be honest,so week before last three of my little ones showed an interst in Colours and numbers, (identified from obs as next step) in my planning last week was to look at books that talk about colours, look at door colours on the way home from school, look at door numbers, provided wooden numbers and against pallet with brush and wash cup so opportunity to name numbers, trace the number shape, mix and name colours.
    They are really into water play with the washed out , soap bottles so provided different coloured soaps and food colouring for mixing, they pretty much have ownership of this play I just provide extra resources and make commets to focus them on thinking about colours and numbers without them being deterred from what they are enjoying doing.

I ve always aimed for 80% child led for the days activites but obviously some of that is adult supported/guided to ensure their learning and interests are developed further.

Last week a lo asked for the story of goldilcoks and the three bears, We will be Following that interest this week, planning to record their own versions on The lady bird iPad books, puppets, dress up. Will be continuing with counting whilst re enacting the story. I have a story sack we will investigate, which I will incorporate colours and numbers into. Igenerally pencil in one activity a day but as the children's interests spins off we do so much more that is unplanned and that it turn gives me a planned activity for tomorrow.
    Thanks for your reply Blue bear.

The reason I ask is one of the actions on my report was

*ensure that the educational program covers all areas of learning in a balanced way, which is appropriate for the ages of the children and the activities provide sufficient challenge, including a balance of adult led and child-initiated activities*

Now I believe that I was already providing that, listing to what you're doing I was doing very similar. But now I'm having to record most details on paper just to prove myself
    Helen xXx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do very little Adult led. Unless I see x doing something and I think of something will be his next steps. So frm playdoh to gloop to shaving foam etc.

Im also finding a lot of mine are now adult initiated but x is able to do whatever he wants with them so is also child led. So for example I got the cars out but x went and took them outside and played with the cars on the soft play blocks.

My inspector liked this way but we all know what suits one doesn't suit another
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes nell57 liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I highlight areas covered during an observation I often find that I haven't included anything for Maths (Numbers) and Understanding the World (Technology) - we do number rhymes daily, have out number lines, magnetic numbers, children help do the calendar etc. I also have out activity toys with buttons to press, toy computers, etc - but I seem to struggle to include these in a general observation. I know these areas aren't so important for the younger children as I concentrate more on the Prime areas rather than Specific. I feel my observations always look like I am not doing observations or providing activities in these two areas but I think its just I'm not very good at recording them. Does anyone else feel they have a weakness in certain areas?

Dec 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I also find it hard to show how we use Maths. All the other areas almost seem to easy in comparison!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Adult led can be as simple as setting out activities you know the children enjoy.

So when you write their daily plans / play plans link what you are doing to previous observations.

Last week we were thinking about fathers day - adult -led activities included making cards, reading books about daddies / people we love, taking photos of each other to put on cards (which was hilarious!) etc.

Adult led is also the continuous provision you always have available - sensory play, dolls and buggies, dolls house, building blocks etc.

Then your child initiated activities can be your normal daily play times when the children decide what they want to do.

During this play you are always on hand to guide learning and to add new ideas to the children's play times.

It's what you do anyway - you might find continuous provision will help you - but it does take a while to set it up.

xx