Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Obs and planning - sharing good practice

All childminders have their own ways of noting how the children in their care are making good progress.

Written observations are required by the EYFS 2012 - so are individualised activities to ensure you are meeting the children's needs.

If you do not write your planning down, you must be able to explain your current learning intentions across all areas of learning for each EYFS child's clearly to an Ofsted inspector during your inspection.

You can find help with preparing a folder of evidence here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...lp-advice.html

If you want to write play plans for children you will find some useful information here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...-children.html

Please share good practice ideas about how you write your Learning Journeys... and any links to useful sources of free information.

Thank you

2. Likes hectors house, Rick liked this post
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a bit confused (go on say it.....not hard!)

I mentioned to another childminder at our childminding group that I was attending an observation training session this evening, to which she replied, I don't do any written observations and assessments as I 'know my child'. She only does a six weekly summative assessment.

At the session they mentioned the observation/planning cycle but also mentioned that written observations were not necessarily required. Is this right? She mentioned a document which I can't remember right now she said you can evidence in other ways.

How do they do their planning/next steps etc.

The lady said you might expect to do one obs a month per child. This also doesn't seem enough.

I came out of the session feeling like I do too much!

Any ideas?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Eyfs talks in requirement 2.5 about 'ongoing, regular observation of children’s development' - it's up to you how you translate this into daily / weekly / monthly documentation.

I do short obs - about 4 or 5 a month. 1 or 2 x inside, 1 x outside, 1 x outing, 1 x home and 1 x other setting if appropriate.

Then every couple of months I do a longer focus obs to cover development in one area of learning in more detail.

I also add little stories to an ongoing 'my characteristics' sheet which is I suppose a bit like a few extra obs.

But that is what I have designed to work for me. I don't see the need for long obs every few days - because nobody would read them and they aren't telling me more than I already know - so in that way I agree with what your colleague told you.

The focus of inspections at the moment is how well the child is making progress - and how your 'daily learning intentions' are supporting that progress - so yes, knowing the child, being able to talk about what the child is doing and why etc is very important.

Maybe make a few changes - see how it goes - reflect on them in your self evaluation / Ofsted SEF - talk to parents - change them again - it should be a constant process of improvement

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The Eyfs talks in requirement 2.5 about 'ongoing, regular observation of children’s development' - it's up to you how you translate this into daily / weekly / monthly documentation.

I do short obs - about 4 or 5 a month. 1 or 2 x inside, 1 x outside, 1 x outing, 1 x home and 1 x other setting if appropriate.

Then every couple of months I do a longer focus obs to cover development in one area of learning in more detail.

I also add little stories to an ongoing 'my characteristics' sheet which is I suppose a bit like a few extra obs.

But that is what I have designed to work for me. I don't see the need for long obs every few days - because nobody would read them and they aren't telling me more than I already know - so in that way I agree with what your colleague told you.

The focus of inspections at the moment is how well the child is making progress - and how your 'daily learning intentions' are supporting that progress - so yes, knowing the child, being able to talk about what the child is doing and why etc is very important.Maybe make a few changes - see how it goes - reflect on them in your self evaluation / Ofsted SEF - talk to parents - change them again - it should be a constant process of improvement
    I agree with that. I was lucky enough at my inspection to have my inspector arrive before I had any children here, they were at nursery. So I had plenty of time on our walk to nursery to collect them to give her some info on the children we were collecting. I told her about what stages they were at, how well the eldest, due to start school soon, was meeting his ELG's etc. Proving you KNOW your children and know what stage they are at is the most important thing. Make sure you talk and talk about the children, prove you know them well.

xxxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

The focus of inspections at the moment is how well the child is making progress - and how your 'daily learning intentions' are supporting that progress - so yes, knowing the child, being able to talk about what the child is doing and why etc is very important.

Maybe make a few changes - see how it goes - reflect on them in your self evaluation / Ofsted SEF - talk to parents - change them again - it should be a constant process of improvement
    Thanks Sarah. I think the one per month observation mentioned at the training session would be similar to your longer one.

As for the childminder at group who only does six weekly summative assessments, I just don't see how you can not do more regular obs as it is these which feed into your next steps planning cycle. I almost feel like 'why am I doing this paperwork when you can get outstanding without needing it?'. Don't Ofsted require evidence, photographic is the best. I would have thought regular obs would be the best way to do this.

I must admit during my inspection I didn't have the luxury of sitting down with the inspector.

I think I will review how much I am doing, it is probably too much! I think if I had more than four children it would be difficult to keep up with paperwork TBH.

Thanks again