Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Feb 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent Doesn't Want Observations Done

Hello,

I am going to be looking after a baby who is 9 months at the moment and when I met with his mum and talked to her about observations, assessments and planning, she said she didn't want any of this done for her baby. She is happy for me to keep a scrapbook with photos and art work etc but didn't want anything more formal than that.

I understand that this is ok with Ofsted if it is the parent's wish but does anyone please have an example form that I can get her to sign confirming this that will be acceptable to Ofsted?

Thank you for any ideas anybody can give me!

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry but unless its changed and I dont think it has.

You cannot opt out of doing the EYFS on the child even if thats what the parents want.

What is the parents objection if she is willing to have scrapebook etc. i explain to all my parents that the EYFS is an intergal part of my job and I have to prove that Im following it to ofsted. Preschools, nurseries and schools all have to follow it so she needs to come to terms with it.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Explain to her that its not as formal as she may think it is. It's main aim is to ensure her child is developing and to flag up concerns
    The observations help you to see what he likes so you can offer him toys and activities that he likes to play with.
    Maybe she feels its a bit big brother but just assure her its nothing too overpowering

If she's still not keen then just keep a LJ and also keep notes for yourself which will help,you to see any development struggles and tell her its just for your benefit maybe??
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I explain it in very simple terms to parents.

If I see their baby is trying to pull themselves up to stand, I think 'wow, that's good for a 9mth old'. I make sure there is room for them to do it. I put interesting toys on the table or sofa (wherever they are pulling themselves up) to encourage them. That's an observation, assessment and planning for next steps. It's as simple as that.

As I am watching their child all the time I cannot help but observe what they are doing. It's impossible not to! And because I'm constantly observing, I'm also constantly assessing and planning. That's what we do every minute of the day.

What parents seem to object to is the formal writing down. But it's not actually compulsory to do that. You need to demonstrate that you know where the child started out, how they have progressed & where they're at now. You could do that with a scrapbook and a few brief notes. That should keep parents & Ofsted happy

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for a Social Worker, who knew exactly what was required by Ofsted and why. She asked me to ring ofsted while she was there and explain that she didn't want obs etc done on her child. Ofsted told me categorically that I had no choice, she then took the phone and spoke to them, they were still adamant.

She resigned her position rather than have Ofsted "dictate" (her words) to her about her own child.

Our area lost one of the best Social workers we had until her daughter went to school 4 years later.

Personally, I admire her guts.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you show her an example of a learning journal? She may think it's a lot more formal like assessments on the child etc

8. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a copy&paste from Ofsted guidance published this month (document 120339, Sarah has posted a link to it on a dedicaed thread) :-

The Early Years Foundation Stage says that everyone, including childminders, must make observations of the children. We do not expect long written notes or ask that you take time away from the children to make these observations. The observations should be used to assess where children are in their learning and help you to plan what happens next. Useful methods are ones that most childminders have always used, for example samples of children’s work, photographs, shared diaries, notes of what children do and so on.
    Hopefully there's enough there for the CM and parent to agree upon as a way of working within the need to do some form of obs.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Florasmummy View Post
    Hello,

I am going to be looking after a baby who is 9 months at the moment and when I met with his mum and talked to her about observations, assessments and planning, she said she didn't want any of this done for her baby. She is happy for me to keep a scrapbook with photos and art work etc but didn't want anything more formal than that.

I understand that this is ok with Ofsted if it is the parent's wish but does anyone please have an example form that I can get her to sign confirming this that will be acceptable to Ofsted?

Thank you for any ideas anybody can give me!
    Hi I do agree with everyone else just try a softly softly approach and explain the benefits to mum - I usually say I'm obs ME how well I planned for their child how well I am supporting their child etc
    HOWEVER ... I def read something a longtime ago and came across this recently I am not sure if it is still current but here is a link to Early Years exceptions - basically the majority of parents have to declined, and you still MUST follow the welfare requirements there is more to it but that's the basics. It's all written in legal language so I may of got the wrong end of the stick.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to observe children - it's what I do all day when I play with them and listen to what they are telling me...

I don't have to call it an 'observation' - I can just think of it as watching and listening - but I can't make sure the child is happy, enjoying their time here and well cared for without watching and listening and chatting to parents.

So I am observing all the time even when I am not writing things down. I don't write much - a few lines - I certainly don't write an essay about every child I don't have time.

Maybe if you explain to mum that the scrap book will contain brief notes to help you remember what her child enjoys / doesn't enjoy etc so you can make sure the child is happy she will understand.

hth