Planning for a 27 months old
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning for a 27 months old

Hi there,
    I am a newly registered childminder struggling with planning. I am looking after a 27 months old who has just started coming 3 weeks ago.
    He likes playing with Cookery set and sometimes with cars nothing else. So I am thinking of planning these activities with him:
    Cooking play dough
    Play dough with cookery set . For example teddy’s party.
    Cars- naming colours.
    Any ideas?
    Also I’d like to use Sarah’s My play plan but I am a bit confused about few things:
    WEEk 1
    My current interest (child led)
    My planning (adult led)
    Do childminders put just one activity for the week? Do childminders filled these sheets in advance? If yes then how can I put something in advance which was child led or adult initiated? Please advice I am really really nervous as my inspection will at any time.
    Many thanks in advance.

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan a topic each month and relate my art and craft, books etc for each area of development around that but of course I still focus on child's specific interests but I feel the monthly topic gives chance to introduce new things for all the children.
    Ofsted were happy with this at my inspection two weeks ago she said she looks more to see that the children are learning from obs pictures in their journal rather that huge planning as it's important that the individual needs are met.
    My inspection all went well so I am going to continue my method. I also have a table in their journals with our days we attend groups etc therefore my planned theme activities are not set to particular days just when it slots in and the children are in the mood for it etc. If we don't do a planned activity I have put in the planning then it doesn't matter a huge amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for your reply. I am a bit confused, can you please explain what do you mean by this 'children are learning from obs pictures in their journal rather that huge planning as it's important that the individual needs are met.'
    Thanks

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol sorry probably my rubbish rambling.
    Basically I photo them lots during the week could be an activity or observation on playing with the farm for example. I put all this in the child's learning journal and follow up with similar things the following month for instance. Their learning journals are packed with photographic evidence as whilst for me it is documenting development and showing Ofsted what we do etc the parents love seeing what they have done with me too.
    Hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. The inspection is doing my head in. Yes, I have been taking lots of photos of 9 months baby and I have stuck them in learning journal. I am thinking of using weekly planning sheet with few activities without mentioning the days and then write in the daily diary what we did actually on the day and do my weekly observations.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a monthly play plan for each child - as they are part time. I don't fill much in advance apart from the odd planned activity. I fill as I go and observe childs interests - eg plays with cars - so then make a note to have cars out. Planned activity may therefore be to wizz cars down a slide at the park and measure in steps how far they go for example. Over the month I then make a note on the sheet in each area of learning one thing we have done to cover that area...so under Mathematics I would then note - measured car distances and under Communication and Language I could say Introduced measuring language such as far, long, metres, steps, numbers, distance, measure, etc

Its easy to complete in my working day as I go and slot it into their learning journey at the end of the month, adding photos on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the ideas. Can I ask how childminders do monthly planning for younger children?
    I am looking after a 2 year old and 10 months old baby. Any topics that could cover both?
    Many thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by misssunshine View Post
    Thank you so much for the ideas. Can I ask how childminders do monthly planning for younger children?
    I am looking after a 2 year old and 10 months old baby. Any topics that could cover both?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Hi
    I have a six week cycle, I observe the child for the six weeks, writing two observations a week and then link them to the eyfs. On the sixth week I plan for them where I look at the areas that need to be focused on and set the next goals. With this I would incorporate their interests, such as if they were lacking in mathematics and enjoyed playing with the cars I would plan a variety of activities around this like getting different sized and coloured cars and do categorising activities. When doing this activity I write down how it's gone and even take pictures as photos are great evidence of them taking part. I would do several of these little activities changing them slightly so that they are kept interested and also maybe make it harder so that they benefit from it

I hope this helps