Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Planning help

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning help

I am still tweaking my planning sheets for the new EYFS. Do I need to include the characteristics, not quite sure how to do this

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2kidsunder5 View Post
    I am still tweaking my planning sheets for the new EYFS. Do I need to include the characteristics, not quite sure how to do this
    Will be looking at this thread with great interest as in my opinion you cannot plan how children are going to learn only look back afterwards to see how they did infact learn. We were told at our EYFS training that we just need to be aware of the different characteristics of effective learning. As I said I will be looking at replies to this thread with interest

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent a copy of my new planning sheet to my early years team and this is the reply I got -

The format is fine, having the appropriate boxs, observation,next steps,comments from child parents and other settings.It was suggested that the first box for observations and next steps should also say childs interests, and in some cases make it clear which is which. In regards to the 7 areas as long as you explain to ofsted what the numbers mean they are fine but you need to add the characteristics

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The characteristics of effective learning are indicators to HOW a child learns... they are not outcomes like the development matters statements.

So... every child learns differently as we know - some are quiet, some are tactile, some are verbal, some like trains!

Over time we notice a child's characteristics and we write them down and use them to plan the next steps in their learning.

Just like you wouldn't offer a child some food you know they actively dislike so you wouldn't expect a girly girl who is heavily into dolls and pink to spend time doing a football themed jigsaw... but she might like one featuring dolls in different costumes.

It's about knowing your child - which we do anyway - and constantly thinking about how to meet their needs.

You don't need to write characteristics on everything - just come up with a way of showing that you are recording them and using them in your planning.

How you do it is up to you. Hth

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Really think that Ofsted should design all these forms and give us training on how exactly we should complete them - just think what a mess the Inland Revenue would be in if we all sent out tax returns in on forms we had designed ourselves!

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Really think that Ofsted should design all these forms and give us training on how exactly we should complete them - just think what a mess the Inland Revenue would be in if we all sent out tax returns in on forms we had designed ourselves!
    You have hit the nail on the head

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more

oct2004
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Went on a course today for the EYFS and we should be getting a form through soon to help us out. Will post it on here when it comes through.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested to see what form they send you missy

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree!

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree...i've started minding this month & haven't been able to access any training apart form the LA training in MArch!!!

I'm so confused with everything & don't where to start or who to ask for help

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

SammyL - make a list - who have you got, what did they like playing with last time there? That's your plan for next time. Then you can build it up as they settle and you get to know them.

So if it was liked train track my planning would say - Mon: Train track set up with trains available.

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

rachelle - is it that simple?! I've done that in my head but if I put it down on paper that'll be ok?

jun 79
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstandingb
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been saying this for years . Same paperwork for everyone and more training !!

No two inspectors are the same so unless its a standard format there is always going to be something that is "not right"
    Sue x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nannysue View Post
    I've been saying this for years . Same paperwork for everyone and more training !!

No two inspectors are the same so unless its a standard format there is always going to be something that is "not right"
    You are absolutely right Sue!

My inspection highlighted this... I had observations followed by assessments followed by next steps on each child's documentation exactly as we are meant to do it.

My inspector said she couldn't see clearly what the child's next steps were (despite regular summary assessments highlighting them) and could I put next steps on a separate sheet from now on.

All that explaining to parents what it meant, all that moving things around for someone who probably won't come again!

Ah well we battle on

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

On the Foundation Stage Forum that cm's in Somerset (maybe elsewhere as well) were given a years free subscription to,

it say's that we shouldn't be using 'next steps' we should be using 'plods'.

Also it say's that our planning sheets should have very little on them as you need to follow each child's current interest and that may change week by week... so we should fill in gaps as the children choose what they want to do.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    On the Foundation Stage Forum that cm's in Somerset (maybe elsewhere as well) were given a years free subscription to,

it say's that we shouldn't be using 'next steps' we should be using 'plods'.

Also it say's that our planning sheets should have very little on them as you need to follow each child's current interest and that may change week by week... so we should fill in gaps as the children choose what they want to do.
    I had forgotten (if I ever knew) what a plod was - so found this useful webpage with a good explanation - if anyone else has "forgotten too"!

http://www.graftonchildcare.co.uk/?p=368

link may not work - never tried adding one to post before!

Sept 01
    Post Thanks / Like

too true!