Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best multi-cultural toys?

Hi, one of my previous recommendations was to provide more multi-cultural resources and I could quite easily spend a fortune but don't want to spend all my profits!

Can anyone recommend the best couple of things to buy? Im going to borrow some bits from the local toy libary but thought Id get one or 2 things to keep at home too.

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the following:

a set of Happy Land People from around the world (I think its about £8)

Lots of homemade books which celebrate different religions and festivals mainly from Instant Display Religious Education Resources, Christianity and World Religions

2 Multicultural dressing up clothes sets from around the world

Lots of shop bought books to promote diversity (Loads 2nd hand on ebay)

Dolls from different cultures or of different skin colour etc

A set of Multicultural Musical instruments

Flashcards showing people of the world

Flashcards showing food from around the world

Various posters

Focus on celebrations eg Chinese New Year, Holi and Diwali
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wellybelly View Post
    I have the following:

a set of Happy Land People from around the world (I think its about £8)

Lots of homemade books which celebrate different religions and festivals mainly from Instant Display Religious Education Resources, Christianity and World Religions

2 Multicultural dressing up clothes sets from around the world

Lots of shop bought books to promote diversity (Loads 2nd hand on ebay)

Dolls from different cultures or of different skin colour etc

A set of Multicultural Musical instruments

Flashcards showing people of the world

Flashcards showing food from around the world

Various posters

Focus on celebrations eg Chinese New Year, Holi and Diwali
    I thought I didn't have very much but I have pretty much everything you mention above.

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I have inspection next week and not been able to obtain / afford multi cultural toys yet :-( I do have a festival book and a calendar to reflect with, and also books about religion etc, I did purchase coloured hands and bodies and got children to colour them in and have put on wall !!

Sarah's Jellytots x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't want to spend money on resources, you can make you own.

In the past I've made jigsaws by printing off a picture, sticking it to thick card, then cutting it out like a jigsaw. Also, word & picture cards are easy to make for matching/pairing games.

For shop bought resources I have Happyland people, musical instruments, small world sets, dolls, clothes (I picked up a beautiful sari from a charity shop), books, play food etc

Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarelou76 View Post
    I have inspection next week and not been able to obtain / afford multi cultural toys yet :-( I do have a festival book and a calendar to reflect with, and also books about religion etc, I did purchase coloured hands and bodies and got children to colour them in and have put on wall !!

Sarah's Jellytots x
    Multi cultural toys should be representative of the children in your setting and local area. Otherwise they become tokanism.

An inexpensive alternative is to have food tasting sessions at snack time such as pineapple, dates, houmas etc, or serve meals from across the world such as pizza, lasagne, curry, stir fry etc.

Tunja

7. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Print off pictures from the Internet, make jigsawa, poster, snap games, books etc.
    Collect various menus from takeaways to talk about the the writing on them,
    Floaty scarves can be used in a variety of ways, lots of colourful material in the dressing up box makes head dresses, saris etc. welcome signs in different languages, google and print off.
    Draw or print off pictures of faces, make them into magnets, use them to talk about feelings.

Definetly splash out on some happyland stuff it's very multicultural but it has great value too, look out on eBay or in charity shops.

What do you have in your play kitchen, I have chop sticks a wok, and traditionally curry bowl all from pound land. You could add noodles, popadoms etc for children to play with real food.

Books all kinds of.... are excellent, you can often get them cheap from the book people.

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, that was one of my recommendations as well, been gradually building up stuff.

I've managed to get hold of some musical instruments and some books (best bargain was 'So Much' by Trish Cooke -
    10p from local library! All children seem to love this book).

Smyths do some nice baby dolls of different nationalities, they are called Lots of Love Babies - 2 for £15. I've just looked on their website and it doesn't really show all the varieties, I've got a lovely little chinese one but couldn't see it. Maybe best to go in store.

10. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosy Days View Post
    Hi, that was one of my recommendations as well, been gradually building up stuff.

I've managed to get hold of some musical instruments and some books (best bargain was 'So Much' by Trish Cooke -
    10p from local library! All children seem to love this book).

Smyths do some nice baby dolls of different nationalities, they are called Lots of Love Babies - 2 for £15. I've just looked on their website and it doesn't really show all the varieties, I've got a lovely little chinese one but couldn't see it. Maybe best to go in store.

ooo, thats useful, thank you. i have been looking for a little chinese doll for YEARS!

Decembe
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont want the multicultural resources to be token to show Ofsted...yay look we have a doll from this particular culture. Just want it to be part of the setting, if you see hat I mean

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Sale on at ELC :-) x

Sarah's Jellytots x

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do have some chopsticks, Chinese money envelopes, a puzzle and book from people around the world, some happy land people from different countries, balamory books .... will celebrate festivals and show info on the internet and will have a look at the toy library for dolls. thanks for the ideas