Who has the best prices for childminding home insurance? Mine just jumped up by £500
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Jul 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who has the best prices for childminding home insurance? Mine just jumped up by £500

Who has the best prices for childminding home insurance?
    Mine just jumped up by £500 on renewal

Post Thanks / Like

i found MM to have the best quote.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New to forum - costs

Hi everyone,
    My name is Clare and I have been considering becoming a childminder from my home, overall when you begin what costs shall I expect to start up, inc. insurance home and car insurance. Not sure of other costs, any help/advice greatly appreciated as got on course with LA in few weeks. Thank you

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claretmcgrath View Post
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Clare and I have been considering becoming a childminder from my home, overall when you begin what costs shall I expect to start up, inc. insurance home and car insurance. Not sure of other costs, any help/advice greatly appreciated as got on course with LA in few weeks. Thank you
    First of all have you looked into applying for the £250 grant to become a cm?
    It is not a lot but any thing helps, approach you LA to see if they can facilitate the application for you...some do.
    If your LA is helping you to register then do ask for their support and advice

You will need Public Liability Insurance which you can get via the representing associations or Morton Michel (plenty of posts here to guide you to make a choice)
    You need to review your Home Insurance and car insurance

Good luck

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Clare

As Simona says there are lots of options for PLI - Membership & insurance options

With home insurance you have to shop around - some companies won't insure childminders others do with no problems. I use Direct Line this year. Car insurance is the same you will need business use and to tell the company you are a childminder It has never cost me any more - this year I am using Churchill.

Pacey, MM etc also sell enhanced childminder insurances for home and car specially tailored to childminders.

If you are in England you will have to pay to register with OFSTED.

Your LA may provide free training or they may charge. They will tell you when you go for the meeting.

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

MM were extortionate for me (well over £500). We've gone with Directline at a mere £300 for their 'plus' cover - it was only just over £200 without the extra cover. Cheaper than what we were paying before I became a cm! You need to shop around though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claretmcgrath View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Hi Claire

I've just been through this and my costs were:

Local authority course mine was £175 (so much)
    First aid £100
    General safety of home £150
    Car seats £100
    Stationary including printing £50
    PACEY membership inc public liability £81
    PACEY contracts and books £70.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sspauk View Post
    Who has the best prices for childminding home insurance?
    Mine just jumped up by £500 on renewal

I'm with Direct Line, got my new quote yesterday, its £379. That's buildings and contents. HTH

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told that they wouldn't cover me for accidental damage as I am a CM but still managed to charge me a higher premium than when I did have it for personal use...has anyone else heard of this?

Simona Guest

After 12 years with the same company I switched today...I always bargained each year and got the quote to be lowered, worth a try
    I also made a couple of enquiries elsewhere...just to see

I cannot believe the reasons some give us for not wanting to ensure CMs ...one company told me (very famous one too) that the fact parents come into my home means there is a risk of them stealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I nearly hit the roof

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

It is time to renew my home insurance and will look into Direct Line as three people above have recommended them for price. Thanks all!

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    After 12 years with the same company I switched today...I always bargained each year and got the quote to be lowered, worth a try
    I also made a couple of enquiries elsewhere...just to see

I cannot believe the reasons some give us for not wanting to ensure CMs ...one company told me (very famous one too) that the fact parents come into my home means there is a risk of them stealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I nearly hit the roof
    Playing devils advocate - We ask total strangers in to our home, we don't know who they are! we don't know any background? there is no 'ofsted to inspect parents' they could be druggies, thieves etc.... etc.... - so yes there is a risk.

I have met a few that I wouldn't trust and probably a few that I shouldn't trust.

But it is a poor excuse to bump the price of insurance. I wouldn't loose sleep over it just use another company.

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Im with tesco for buildings and contents and they were the best price. Most other companies wouldnt touch me when i said i was self employed let alone a cm. Tesco's dont cover people who are self employed but have an except for cms. They dont cover for accidental damage during your working hours tho! .....but how they going to know!!!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been with Churchill for year and years. They cover Accidental Damage, not that I have ever had to claim in the 20 years I have been minding and they have always been reasonable. This year we had to change because of an antique we have and are now with a sister company of Churchill. I always get quotes from other companies every year and have never had a problem because I am a childminder.

Pacey/Homeminder with Blu Fin, Morton Michel, Churchill, Direct Line, nationwide, tesco are all companies I know will insure childminders.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

DH organises ours but went with Sainsburys this time as they were the cheapest for CM

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funemnx View Post
    DH organises ours but went with Sainsburys this time as they were the cheapest for CM
    Really because sainsburys said no to me based on the fact i am self employed!! My bank keep asking me to switch to their home insurance but they dont accept self employed people. ****** crazy. Nationwide are good tho as i was with them up til this yr.

Jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with lloyds tsb this year as first time they were able to offer cover for childminders
    Children are born with wings we help them to fly.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Morton michel, renewal next month is £300 and something.

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with More Than, they cover for accidental cover and cover for up to 6 children being on premises at any given time, the buildings and contents is very comparable
    Cath

sep2001
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CSSIW
    Non childminder member
    Childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

We have contents with Nationwide.

When I was first registered , in my old house, they just added the details to my exsiting policy with no extra to pay. All they advised me to do was to write them a letter about the childminding, they then replied with confirmation of cover and also advised to make sure I had the public liabilty insurance - which I already had.

When we moved and hubby sorted out the insurance(bless him ) I later found out I wasnt covered for accidential damage - for us or minded families , so opted for the higher policy and it cost us about an extra £6-£7 a month.

This will cover us for all damages caused by us(even through botched DIY) or by anything related for work. fingers crossed I have no made a claim for work in the 12 years I have been childminding.

About 2 years ago hubby went for a review with the building society and they reviewed the insurance at the meeting and the adviser at the time was not sure about cover for the childminding(as they were looking at offering us a new policy) and after they contacted head office they found that the childminding was still covered by the new policy they were offering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast