Morton Michael / Indemnity Insurance
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Morton Michael / Indemnity Insurance

Hi, I few childminders in my local area including me are thinking of switching insurance to Morton Michael this time round. One childminding has just spoke to our network coordinator who said that Morton Michael's policy does not include indemnity insurance and we would still have to pay the ncma £30 for this. Before I start searching the internet I was just wondering if anyone on here knew anything about this:-)
    Thanks

Cathy

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite know what she means. Both NCMA and Morton Michel do full Public Liability Insurance for Childminders and they both provide Employers Insurance if you have Assistants, Morton Michel include it in the PLI whether you want it or not, NCMA charge £5 extra if you want it.

If you insure with MM you do not have to pay NCMA £30 or indeed anything extra for an additional cover.

However I must point out that NCMA Insurance is less than half the cost than MM. The difference is that to buy the cheap insurance you have to be a member of NCMA whereas MM is just an Insurance Broker selling insurance. As NCMA are the only membership organisation that represent childminders it is a worthwhile organisation to be a member of. The provide a lot of information with regard to paperwork etc via their web site, you can advertise your vacancies on ***** and only NCMA members can do this, you get discounts in shops. You get the chance to have your voice heard via NCMA Local, cheaper paperwork and much much more.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have always had Morton Michel insurance - and I don't pay anyone anything extra

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies.

Cathy

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just switched to morton and michel and it the same benifit anyway and also lot cheaper too!!

Post Thanks / Like

In relation to my above post. I have checked with network coordinators in my area and if you live in Hampshire and use Morton Michel for your insurance, if you provide eye you need to take out an additional indemnity - professional indemnity. Apparently this is to cover you incase a parent decides to sue you for providing inadequate early years education!! This is only in Hampshire at the moment.

Cathy

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cathyd View Post
    In relation to my above post. I have checked with network coordinators in my area and if you live in Hampshire and use Morton Michel for your insurance, if you provide eye you need to take out an additional indemnity - professional indemnity. Apparently this is to cover you incase a parent decides to sue you for providing inadequate early years education!! This is only in Hampshire at the moment.

Cathy
    what? that sounds odd!

i am an NCMA member, so not knocking NCMA, but, are all the childminder support staff/networks etc still all NCMA by any chance?

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaswinder bedi View Post
    I have just switched to morton and michel and it the same benifit anyway and also lot cheaper too!!
    No MM Insurance is not cheaper than NCMA it is about twice the price actually if we are going to be correct.

NCMA Insurance costs £22pa £27pa if you need Employers cover as well.

MM is £44pa and includes Employer's Insurance even if you don't want it.

The difference between the two is that in order to buy the much reduced insurance from NCMA you have to be a member and pay a membership fee each year so the overall cost of the Membership and insurance is more than the cost of just insurance from MM.

However MM are just an Insurance Broker who want to sell insurance and they have no interest in Childminders other than to sell insurance to them and in order to make their company more appealing the offer what are known a sweeteners to tempt you to buy their insurance. So they sell stationery which is quite a lot more expensive than the NCMA paperwork, they offer an online magazine which is also available in other places free.

They do not campaign to improve a childminders lot the way NCMA do. They do not have an exclusive site for only MM members to advertise their vacancies the way NCMA do, they don't have a facility to record your Training and experience (CPD) the way NCMA do and so many other bits I can't be bothered to type them all.

You may get a similar insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been with mm for years and never heard that before, I think your DO is in lala land lol. Give them a ring and see what they say. The ins if your a member of ncma is cheaper but if your not interested in being a member mm is cheaper, mm is now offering a lot more support to childminders, when I first started with them they were indeed just an insurance broker, but times are changing and they are offering lots more than just ins now.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Ive been with mm for years and never heard that before, I think your DO is in lala land lol. Give them a ring and see what they say. The ins if your a member of ncma is cheaper but if your not interested in being a member mm is cheaper, mm is now offering a lot more support to childminders, when I first started with them they were indeed just an insurance broker, but times are changing and they are offering lots more than just ins now.
    Yes but that stuff is to the sweeten the purchase, to get more cm business, not because they have the slightest interest in the plight of the childminder the way NCMA do. And it works doesn't it.!!!