Permission to childmind from private accomodation/mortgage
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Permission to childmind from private accomodation/mortgage

I've had my social worker visit and everythings fine except now I need permission from my landlord to continue.

I'm waiting on her reply and I'm at my wits end.

I had asked a few months ago for permission,she hadn't a problem with it but did think her mortgage didn't cover a business being run from the house.She never got back to me.I continued on with the registration as I had emailed NICMA to query it and they said they'd never heard of it and to take it as she doesn't mind as she didn't come back to me but now my social worker wants a letter of permission so I've hand to ask my landlady again.

Has anyone any advice? This is really not fair if she says no and yes I do understand she's within her rights,it doesn't mean that I like it though.

I've worked so hard for this due to family history,I'm willing not to let people into my house while child minded children are here etc but now its all down to 1 letter!

What can I put to my landlord apart from the obvious that I will have public liability insurance,the house will be kept well.......... She's entitled to a rates rebate too,isn't she?

Can anyone advise me on where I can go from here?

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I would write the permission letter up and give to landlord to sign, sometones if you do the work for them people are more willbg to agree.
    Can you print off some info for her expelling what being a childminder a tually means and link it to the property to reassure her.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not sure what a rents rebate is?

Mortgage companies can refuse to allow a business being run from the house however childminding doesnt really come into this catoregy.

There will be increased insurance have you offered to pay this as she would need business insurance not normal household.

You need to put her mind at risk over how many children you will be having etc. Your public liability is there to protect you if the children have an accident not your landlord.

I know other cms have pleaded their case and got their landlords permission
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure where you are if you have had a Social Worker to see you do you not mean your pre Reg visit which is done on Ofsted behalf by either Prospects or Tribal?

Anyhow yes Ofsted will need to see written permission from your Landlord and if you don't have it I think you will find any Public Liability Insurace you get will not be valid.

If you live in rented property that is a Freehold you have to get written permission of your landlord. The landlord may not be able to give permission if the terms of his/her Mortgage especially if it is a Buy to Let Mortgage do not allow a Tenant to conduct a business from the property. If this is the case then you can't Childmind from the house. If you did you would be breaking both the terms of you registration and the terms of your Rental Agreement.

If you live in a rented Leasehold Flat then your Landlord has to get the written permission of their Freeholders allowing you to run a business and you need a copy of this permission along with written permission from your Landlord as well. As above if you don't have these you are breaching your Ofsted registration and your insurance would not cover you.

I do know about the Leasehold situation because I have been a Director on a Freehold Company.

I started my own Childminding career in a flat I had owned for 9yrs and I worked there for the first 10 years of my 18 childminding career. I was inspected by Ofsted twice while I was in the flat and both time they asked to see the written permission from the Free Holders and prior to that Social Services needed to see it as well.

The rules are very clear and it is a shame that you didn't chase your Landlord at the beginning.

However without their permission you can not work and it may not be that your Landlord wouldn't be happy for you to but they are bound by rules as well whether they like them or not.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I would write the permission letter up and give to landlord to sign, sometones if you do the work for them people are more willbg to agree.
    Can you print off some info for her expelling what being a childminder a tually means and link it to the property to reassure her.
    This is ok but the Landlord may actually not be the person preventing it as I have said in my detailed post. Wish that it were so simple. Having been involved in the legal side of things for a number of years it isn't and needs to be done the correct way.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I'm not sure where you are if you have had a Social Worker to see you do you not mean your pre Reg visit which is done on Ofsted behalf by either Prospects or Tribal?
    NICMA means the member is in Ireland Ricky - they have different registration rules over there.

Victoria - without landlord permission you are unlikely to be covered by insurance so you will not be able to childmind.

You need to chat to your landlord and see if you can find a compromise. Sadly you were badly advised to press on with your registration without permission

I hope you can work it out

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah, I did wonder.