Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post

We got snow enough to get the sledge out.

Rugby is called off because of the frozen pitched so a morning sledging snowman building is on the cards.
    Sledging snowmen and snowball all done now home for hot chocolate. It's now snowing again.

What a wonderful Sunday morning.

I love the snow I love the way the outside looks.
    I love seeing the joy on the childrens face when they make tracks etc.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We got snow enough to get the sledge out.

Rugby is called off because of the frozen pitched so a morning sledging snowman building is on the cards.
    Yay We had snow yesterday evening. I went out for two walks in it - once to meet Mrs Bunyip from work and again just for the joy of it - and didn't see a soul (not counting Mrs B, as I doubt she has a soul. )

Snow still here this morning, but sadly non-sledge-able and already melting.

I take it that's rugby union. I remember we used to go to winter rugby league to help clear snow off the pitches so the match could go on, never mind the frozen turf. Once at Owlerton there weren't enough of us to clear the entire pitch, so the groundsperson just told us to clear the line-markings and they played on snow! The league programmes went on whilst the union boys wouldn't play. Now it's all gone soft and they even play league in the summer instead.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Yay We had snow yesterday evening. I went out for two walks in it - once to meet Mrs Bunyip from work and again just for the joy of it - and didn't see a soul (not counting Mrs B, as I doubt she has a soul. )

Snow still here this morning, but sadly non-sledge-able and already melting.

I take it that's rugby union. I remember we used to go to winter rugby league to help clear snow off the pitches so the match could go on, never mind the frozen turf. Once at Owlerton there weren't enough of us to clear the entire pitch, so the groundsperson just told us to clear the line-markings and they played on snow! The league programmes went on whilst the union boys wouldn't play. Now it's all gone soft and they even play league in the summer instead.
    Yes its union. You can tell the difference in areas as apparantly I'm reliably informed it the league players who are the softies.
    However saying that either union or league must be better as ds has not played football for 10 weeks because of the weather.

I was quite pleased that rugby was cancelled it would have interfered with the sledging time 😂😂😂
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

5. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes its union. You can tell the difference in areas as apparantly I'm reliably informed it the league players who are the softies.
    However saying that either union or league must be better as ds has not played football for 10 weeks because of the weather.

I was quite pleased that rugby was cancelled it would have interfered with the sledging time 😂😂😂
    I often find people judge between the two sports without having played (or in some cases even having watched) both. At most, people compare what they've seen on TV: they compare international union with club-level league. That's like watching 2 football matches and deciding the world cup final is better than Grimsby vs. Scunthorpe on a wet Tuesday night. Never seen the point in deciding one is "better" than t'other any more than comparing water skiing with weightlifting.

I've played both, despite being officially banned from union by the RFU for playing what they termed "the professional code" (ie. league) when I was at school. Personally I found I needed to be tougher for league when played properly, but got hurt more badly playing union because players had far more opportunity for cheap shots at you.

I expect it's all very different now, all these years later.

Snow thawing rapidly here. I'm beginning to worry my entire garden will have turned into a mud kitchen before the Spring is in.
    Last edited by bunyip; 17-01-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We had some in the early hours. DD woke me up at some ridiculous time this morning to tell me it was snowing. I got up to look through the curtains and we had a light dusting, nowhere near enough to even play in. So I TRIED to go back to sleep but DD and the cat had other ideas

xxx

8. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

I often find people judge between the two sports without having played (or in some cases even having watched) both. At most, people compare what they've seen on TV: they compare international union with club-level league. That's like watching 2 football matches and deciding the world cup final is better than Grimsby vs. Scunthorpe on a wet Tuesday night. Never seen the point in deciding one is "better" than t'other any more than comparing water skiing with weightlifting.

I've played both, despite being officially banned from union by the RFU for playing what they termed "the professional code" (ie. league) when I was at school. Personally I found I needed to be tougher for league when played properly, but got hurt more badly playing union because players had far more opportunity for cheap shots at you.

I expect it's all very different now, all these years later.

Snow thawing rapidly here. I'm beginning to worry my entire garden will have turned into a mud kitchen before the Spring is in.
    Yeah the snow is melting here too at least we had one snowy morning.

I don't actually think there is a rugby league team around here but could be wildly wrong. DS loved the game though :-)

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the snow is melting here too at least we had one snowy morning.

I don't actually think there is a rugby league team around here but could be wildly wrong. DS loved the game though :-)
    They're a weird lot in this village. Snow is all but gone, but I just saw a family scraping a sledge along the snow-free pavement in the direction of our local popular sledging hill. Since that is on an unshaded slope, it'll be grass at best.............probably mud.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12