Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    But we must must must celebrate carrot cake day on Tuesday. It would be wrong of us not too
    I must get a Carrot Cup cake out of the freezer. But do I have to wait for Tuesday

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't celebrate all festivals I have 2 2 year olds and an 18 month old.

Having said that we did do a lot for Christmas and I always do hand prints for Christmas as a development point for parents who often stay with me for a good few years. I wouldn't be cutting them out for every festival going I haven't go the time or inclination!!

I did do Burn's Night as I feel it is part of our British heritage. I have some tartan fabric so we looked at that. We had Haggis for tea with potatoes and swede again British food and some children eat too much muck and don't learn enough about some of the wonderful food the British Isles has to offer. While we were having dinner we watched the Edinburgh Tattoo and experienced Scottish Music, saw kilts and bagpipes and saw the Scottish Flag.

We did Australia Day because I have an interest because the Church in the little village outside Bath where I grew up has an Australia Chapel in it, created in the mid 70s because Arthur Philip, the first governor of New South Wales is buried in the Churchyard. We also exchange post cards and Christmas cards with Australian childcarer's (and ones from America, Scotland, England and Spain) so we have a world map on the wall with all the cards on. We look at Australian animals both the unusual ones and the ones they have that are the same as ours and we get in a big mess making Lammingtons!

We also celebrate:

Shrove Tuesday and with older ones I talk about Mardis Gras

Chinese New Year

St David's Day hoping and watching for the first daffodil to bloom in the garden and we look at the Welsh National Costume and I have some Welsh Tweed and we make Welsh Cakes using my Welsh Grandmother's recipe and a cast iron griddle or bakestone.

St Patrick's Day

Mothering Sunday (It is Mother's Day in America) which has a lot of history to it.

Easter

Father's Day to be even handed but it grates because it is a purely commercially contrived day.

Guy Faukes Night (Not Halloween I hate Trick or Treat with a vengeance, I think it is wrong to send children out knocking on doors and the terrible accident this year that Claudia Winklemans daughter highlights the dangers and lack of care and thought people take and what stupid money spend on yet more sweets!!)

Christmas.

Birthdays

We may look at other things the age of the children and the individual culture of the children I have at the time.

I follow the British festivals because it is part of the culture and flow of this Country and the way through history that we have marked the way the year flows with the seasons. I think that children pick up on this flow and it helps them mark the passage of time as they grow, I know it did with me. Our year was kind of divided up by various celebrations and anniversaries.

I would also include looking at things like Well Dress, Cheese Rolling and others local things as well if they were done near me.

4. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We also exchange post cards and Christmas cards with Australian childcarer's (and ones from America, Scotland, England and Spain)
    Lovely idea. How did that begin? Is there some kind of international CMs penpal scheme?

Does anyone have a risk assessment for cheese rolling?

6. Likes FloraDora, rickysmiths liked this post
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Fabulous ideas from everyone here! Of course festivals relevant to us/mindees should be celebrated. It's the zillion bloggers out there who are trying to create 'print outs' for each festival known to mankind that I object to. Celebrating with music, food, traditions, artefacts etc is wonderful and educational. I would love my child to have the experiences you have all described. x

8. Likes lollipop kid, FloraDora, rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an International Childcarer's Facebook page and it is through that..

10. Likes Maza liked this post
    Jan 84
    Post Thanks / Like

I hardly look at festivals that are not relevant to me and my mindee, my passion is the welfare of the endangered manatee and as January is a month that is special to me as I used to go to Florida to volunteer at a couple of the rescue centres I make it a special time here in January and usually go over into February as well to celebrate all things related to the manatee, we watch dvds from my time there, we draw them, learn about their lives etc. My mindee is from a farming family and so we concentrate on their special times e.g. sewing, growing harvesting etc. If his parents ask about other things then I will look at them but they have said that they would prefer to do a lot of the things at home with him and for me to do what I do best (their words) and play with him. Love it.
    Teacake2

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post

Now, contradictory or what.....since I started the grumps....St Patrick's day is actually my birthday and my distant heritage ... so ....I do tend to play irish music, wear a shamrock ( I have loads of brooches as I used to always get them from relatives - unique birthday gifts everyone thought!) ....and perhaps focus on the green and rainbow aspect of leprechauns / pots of gold.( regular theme to my birthday cards!) St Patrick is quite a sad life story to discuss with little ones, no wonder the green aspect is emphasised. But it is a day relevent to me - so allowed I think.
    The first ever ofsted I suffered, millions of years ago, was on my birthday and it was my assembly day - we had 6 weeks notice in those days so I had plenty of time to worry/ prepare.....I ordered myself a boxed balloon - St Patrick's style. Which was delivered at the beginning of assembly ( arranged) ...a box...what could be in it?? Irish music ...Great assembly, children loved it, Ofsted loved it- got a mention in the report ... for years after my colleagues used to do all sorts of pranks on me with green balloons on St Patrick's day.....you don't get this type of revelry with just LO's and no colleagues!!

We do eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday( and every other week for breakfast) ( when did it become 'pancake day?) - but no children on Tuesday so DH and I will be experimenting with our crepe maker.
    I actually take St. Patrick's Day off.. as do most cm in my area...its a big thing in our local community but as for valentine's this year I gave the children small glass jars and glass paint and let them do what they wanted to it. . I added a battery tea light and a few heart shaped sweets... I have decided from now on no more fancy crafts just simple ones the children can get on with
    Tess1981

14. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you would like a worth while day to celebrate Wednesday is eat ice cream for breakfast day as well as drink wine day

16. Likes Maza liked this post
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clareelizabeth1 View Post
    If you would like a worth while day to celebrate Wednesday is eat ice cream for breakfast day as well as drink wine day
    Is it really mmm now that's a day to mark :-) :-) :-)
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

18. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Wednesday I'll make a note don't want to miss it. The wine, that is not ice cream for breakfast.

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It said on the TV this morning that its national chip week. Maybe pop round the chippie for lunch tomorow Or perhaps we should cut up and make our own healthy ones (naahh, maybe not). We are making pancakes for lunch tomorrow, and making extra to have races with after. I have printed certificates for them for taking part as some are reluctant to join in things like that.

21. Likes Maza, FloraDora liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Another 'local festival' today for celebration.
    Shrove Tuesday was a big town celebration when I was growing up - many shops and schools closed at least for the afternoon. The shrove bell would ring at noon , and everyone would head for the beach - and skipping would replace cars the whole length of the foreshore. Long rope from one side of the road to the other , from the Spa all the way to the harbour. I haven't been home on shrove Tuesday for many years and don't know if it is still as big a day - I suspect not as shops and schools wont close so readily any more. Maybe LoocyLoo is the best one to let us know.

So today as well as pancakes to eat and play ( lots of frying pans and cardboard disks on the outdoor kitchen!) , Ive unearthed all our skipping ropes and we will have a go...There are also hand bells on the patio....
    Now I admit this means nothing to the children as I now live a long way away - but they benefit from hearing about special days from my childhood , and what chidren enjoy in other places , and you know what , I enjoy it...and sometimes one of the joys of being self employed is that I can do things for myself too!!!

23. Likes FloraDora, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) I haven't been there for shrove tuesday ... But I think it still happens! I doubt the shops shut though!

Hmmm, it's a lovely but cold day ... I was planning on going to the woods ... But maybe we'll head to Scarborough! Thanks for reminding me :-)

25. Likes mama2three liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

im tempted too , but 41/2 hr round trip wouldn't really be fair on the mindees just for nostalgias sake would it! maybe if I promise them fish and chips and icecream?

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lol! We're on the beach ... Road is closed at midday till 5 ... signs saying 'skipping event' :-D

we've brought our skipping ropes ... watch this space!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Lol! We're on the beach ... Road is closed at midday till 5 ... signs saying 'skipping event' :-D

we've brought our skipping ropes ... watch this space!
    Have a fab time xx

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Another 'local festival' today for celebration.
    Shrove Tuesday was a big town celebration when I was growing up - many shops and schools closed at least for the afternoon. The shrove bell would ring at noon , and everyone would head for the beach - and skipping would replace cars the whole length of the foreshore. Long rope from one side of the road to the other , from the Spa all the way to the harbour. I haven't been home on shrove Tuesday for many years and don't know if it is still as big a day - I suspect not as shops and schools wont close so readily any more. Maybe LoocyLoo is the best one to let us know.

So today as well as pancakes to eat and play ( lots of frying pans and cardboard disks on the outdoor kitchen!) , Ive unearthed all our skipping ropes and we will have a go...There are also hand bells on the patio....
    Now I admit this means nothing to the children as I now live a long way away - but they benefit from hearing about special days from my childhood , and what chidren enjoy in other places , and you know what , I enjoy it...and sometimes one of the joys of being self employed is that I can do things for myself too!!!
    Don't you find that kids just love listening to stories about when we were little? My daughter often asks me to tell her about my own childhood! Gosh, mama2three, your memories sound fantastic! I think that any festival we mark, if it comes from our heart, is such a rich experience for everyone involved. x

30. Likes lisbet liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

:-) well ... skipping and skipping ropes as far as the eye can see!
    Hundreds of people watching and skipping of all ages.
    Beautiful day with clear blue skies. The beach is full as well.
    Thank you mama2three for mentioning it :-)

Oh yes ... in celebration of national chip week ... we had chips on the beach with our picnic ;-)

Tried to add photo of sky and dd skipping (do have lovely photo of mindees but can't put them on! ) but can't rotate them!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by loocyloo; 17-02-2015 at 01:51 PM.

32. Likes mama2three, Maza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantasic! I love spontaneous one off things like that .. Little ones must be delighted !

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sooo jealous. .but glad you've had a great day.
    But the Futurist looks so sad..

Weve had a really lovely sunny spring day at our local National Trust Country park instead.. and only a 10 minute drive!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast