Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking food

One life live it

2. Likes Petshrinklj liked this post
    jumpinjen Guest

It's great, thanks

jumpinjen Guest

Although I have to say I don't agree with all of it now I've read the menu checklist - I don't provide puddings with main meals, I provide a balanced meal and encourage the children to stop when they are full, not stop when they've had enough then push a pudding down too cos they like sweet things and it says only water and milk should be given and no squash but if this is what children will drink, I'm not going to limit or stop them as it is more important to take in enough fluid in my opinion - and I don't understand the bit about limiting meat alternative products either?

Anyone shed any light?

Jen x

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

pass i just thought someone would benifit from it
    One life live it

jumpinjen Guest

No it's great, thanks, lots of really useful information about menus and what foods to include, I'm pleased you took the time to put it up!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link, any new ideas for recipes always welcome

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjen View Post
    Although I have to say I don't agree with all of it now I've read the menu checklist - I don't provide puddings with main meals, I provide a balanced meal and encourage the children to stop when they are full, not stop when they've had enough then push a pudding down too cos they like sweet things and it says only water and milk should be given and no squash but if this is what children will drink, I'm not going to limit or stop them as it is more important to take in enough fluid in my opinion - and I don't understand the bit about limiting meat alternative products either?

Anyone shed any light?

Jen x

I do provide puddings because they are either fruit or milk based so part of the nutritional balance offered during the day.

But if they don't eat their main course or are 'full' then I let parents know they have missed a fruit / milk element to their dietary needs for the day - it's up to them if they supplement with crisps or whatever... I've done my best!!

I only offer water or milk (once a day)... I just don't buy squash! They all cope - some struggle to start with but we chat about it and I ask parents to back me up. I did used to care for one little boy who completely refused water so we compromised on herbal (non caffeine) tea - he loved the blackcurrant one!!

the meat alternative products limit is apparently - according the to chef - taken from school meal dietary advice. He has no idea why it's there though... you should challenge them!!

thank you for posting Trouble!

Feb 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Link doesn't seem to work anymore. But I could find it by following your link then clicking 'resources'then 'early years settings.'

Childrens Food Trust | Resources | For early years settings

Thanks looks really useful