Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Observing practice - not reading paperwork

Inspection is changing from September...

How well do you know your childminded children?

Most childminders tell me they know their children very well! They know their likes, dislikes and interests … they know how they learn and what makes them tick – they know what the child is learning now and what they need to learn next because they have a good understanding of child development.

From September, using the new Early Years Inspection framework, Ofsted will focus (a lot) on the quality of education – how well you teach children so they learn and remember what they have learned. Ofsted will observe and ask you questions to find out what you intend doing through the day (your daily routines and plans for each child today), how you are going to run the day (child-initiated play and adult-guided sessions such as reading and singing songs together, your resources to support children’s interests etc) and what you want each child to learn (next steps - individual planning).

You will need to be able to explain this to your inspector – you will need starting points from parents to show you know where the child’s journey started and you will need your knowledge of the child and you will need some type of simple tracking to show they are making progress but the inspector will not usually ask for this. You will also need a written 2 year progress check for every child who has been with you between the ages of 2 and 3 years old – this must be in writing.

What you will not need is lengthy written information - Ofsted are clear that this is not needed - quick notes to remind you what you have seen and what you are working on next will be enough. Share these with parents regularly in their preferred format and get their feedback so you know what the child is doing at home.

I explain this in training as being able to ‘tell a story’ to the inspector about each child –
    This is John – he is 3 years old
    At home, John mostly plays with dinosaurs and cars – he goes to the allotment with dad every weekend
    He is currently learning using a rotation (round and round) schema (repeated play) so I have provided lots of balls to roll and kick, cars and trains to roll along … we were doing marble painting the other day - you can see it displayed on the noticeboard.
    John is toilet training at the moment – he was a bit slow to start but we are working closely with parents and he is making really good progress
    We are planting carrots – his dad brought them for us – he loves telling his friends what will happen to the seeds next. We did beans in bags with him as well which he loved
    We are also working on John’s fine motor skills and playing lots of midline games (crossing the midline – essential for strength, coordination and deciding which hand to use when writing) because we noticed he can’t make his mind which hand to use when writing
    What else do you want to know about John?... and smile…

You can do this!!

2. Likes BallyH liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you ..

My problem is that despite how well I know the children and what they are doing, and where we are going ... the moment I have to tell anyone my mind goes blank!

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Thank you ..

My problem is that despite how well I know the children and what they are doing, and where we are going ... the moment I have to tell anyone my mind goes blank!
    Then write yourself notes. Use your learning journals if you have them. You'll get a bit of notice of when you're going to be inspected, even 1 day's notice is enough to jot a 'story' for each child you know you'll have those day(s) when Ofsted due. Ofsted are very used to nerves and in my experience have been very understanding. You don't 'lose marks' for reading from your own notes- in fact it would show you are well prepared and conscientious.

6. Likes loocyloo, Maza liked this post
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    Then write yourself notes. Use your learning journals if you have them. You'll get a bit of notice of when you're going to be inspected, even 1 day's notice is enough to jot a 'story' for each child you know you'll have those day(s) when Ofsted due. Ofsted are very used to nerves and in my experience have been very understanding. You don't 'lose marks' for reading from your own notes- in fact it would show you are well prepared and conscientious.
    That is what I have done for every previous inspection ... written myself a info sheet for each child attending on the days inspector may visit!