Occasional childminding and LJ's, observations, etc
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Occasional childminding and LJ's, observations, etc

I am having an inspection in the next few weeks. I have a little boy who only comes once in a while. I have only had him 4 random afternoons since January. How much in the way of observations, planning, etc am I expected to do for him. I keep a tracker but don't make "plans" as I never know when he is coming again. Also he has just turned 2 so am I still expected to do the 2yr old Progress check when I hardly ever see him. I don't know what to do about it.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a requirement of the Eyfs to have a 2 year progress check for every child between the age of 2 and 3 in their file for inspection.

The rest you can do in your head and talk about the child, their likes, dislikes, interests, learning styles etc ...

Inspectors generally only look at the children in the provision on the day ... I wouldn't go out of my way to mention the child if he's not in when the inspector calls

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If the child is very ad-hoc then in Ofsted terms I'd see them as a child who you have had on occasion in the past may not be back at all- therefore no LJ. They only were interested in the children I had on the day (and one who was due that day but was absent- because I had that child LJ out to show).

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus if the child is present on inspection day you could tell the inspector you had 'xxx' planned but this morning he arrived all excited with a new interest so the planning is now 'yyyy' so that is what we are going to do instead. Follow the child's lead and think quickly on your feet. Best of luck.