Record keeping & children's achievements.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Record keeping & children's achievements.

Hi there,
    I have been childminding for just over a year now and whilst I absolutely love my job I really dislike the paperwork.
    I don't feel like I have got into a good routine with the organisation of the children's folders and i'm just wondering how you do it please?
    Each child within my care has a record of achievement folder and I start with an all about me section first and always do a long observation detailing the childs first day. I then do short observations and aim to do a long obs each month.
    How do you manage the 'next steps'? This is something my coordinator said I needed to work on but as I like to be child led I haven't been doing next steps.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

Jen x

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Tapestry online, so no paperwork really.
    Next steps I do on two levels- at my 6-monthly progress reviews I write about 3 per Area (Prime Areas only for under 3s) and they are just 1-line each like 'develop pretend play with props and dressing-up', so more long term to work on over the next 6-mths.
    Then I do a 'mini-next step' on any obs that I feel could do with one- usually a short term goal directly related to the obs.
    I do not do long obs at all. All are just 1-2 line notes with a photo/video.

If you are not happy with your paper work then I'd suggest stripping it back to the minimum and seeing what is really useful- remember no paperwork except the 2yr Report is statutory. Everything you do is your own choice. No coordinator can tell you how to do your job, they are only there to advise, most of us don't even have one. Smile and nod and do what you want, you are the one in charge of your own business.

3. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our files are really simple to keep up with - I do them during the day usually while the children are happily playing -

Sarah's Blog: Planning for play and learning

Hth

5. Likes rickysmiths liked this post