Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have given notice what happens to LJ

Hi all,

As the title suggests what happens to the little ones LJ when they leave, should I give it to the parents, or do you keep it as evidence for Ofsted. I have not had my first inspection yet as only registered last June?

Thanks Folks

Emma.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    Hi all,

As the title suggests what happens to the little ones LJ when they leave, should I give it to the parents, or do you keep it as evidence for Ofsted. I have not had my first inspection yet as only registered last June?

Thanks Folks

Emma.
    I always give it to the parents so they can keep or give to the next setting.

Ofsted don't usually look at paperwork for children no longer in your care
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

3. Likes Ripeberry, blue bear liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

The LJ goes with the child. It can be galling to give it away when you've spent months/years on it. But Ofsted are not interested if the child is not with you on inspection day.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As stated above, the LJ goes with the child, however, I would maybe photocopy a few pages to show OFSTED how you DID do your LJ if you don't have one to show them when they inspect (it's your only evidence that you have done one) - hopefully, you'll already have working LJ's and won't need it as an example
    They won't use the information to grade you

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    As stated above, the LJ goes with the child, however, I would maybe photocopy a few pages to show OFSTED how you DID do your LJ if you don't have one to show them when they inspect (it's your only evidence that you have done one) - hopefully, you'll already have working LJ's and won't need it as an example
    They won't use the information to grade you
    When I was moving, I knew I was due an inspection, so with permission from mum, I copied an entire LJ as I wanted to be able to show ofsted what my LJs looked like ( What type of obs I did, sharing with parents etc ) incase they came and I only had a few pages in a LJ ... 5 years on I'm still waiting and have long since shredded that LJ!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I pass LJs on to parents whose children leave: or rather, I offer them, as I've had at least 1 (could be 2 - I don't remember) family decline theirs.

Strictly speaking, there is no regulatory or contractual obligation to do so, unless you've written your contract in such a way that you agree to. But you should provide some form of written L&D summary to go with the child as a transition document as an absolute minimum.

Despite the popular opinion on this, I've had Prospects/Ofsted inspectors who will consider LJ's for children who weren't "minded children" at the time. I used to do LJs for my grandchildren: not strictly necessary, but they demonstrated I could do them for a range of ages when I first started and had only one mindee initially.

The other was a copy I kept, with mum's consent, after a child left to go to school. It demonstrated how we handed preparation and transition for school. In this case, the child went to a school I don't pick up from, but which has far better partnership/transition arrangements than our village school, so I was keen to show what a CM can do when a school is more co-operative. My inspector was happy to see it and consider it: she took the view that it demonstrates my abilities.

That said, I believe I was lucky and a lot of inspectors just wouldn't do that. It's a shame. They're meant to be looking at what we can do and give us every chance to demonstrate our abilities, structures, system, partnership working, etc. To do that fully, they ought to consider more than just snapshot of the little we have to work with on inspection day.

8. Likes loocyloo, sing-low liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also give them to parents when child leaves. In my last inspection ofsted asked to see information of children that were... 2 yr funded (I had none at the time) and also any with SEN (which I did have but not in that day) and English as an additional language (also did but not that day). She asked me questions about each as well as the children I had that day. Wanted to know where they were tracked at in the EYFS, what next steps were and how I worked with parents and other settings to achieve that. I said I was outstanding in my SEF so she said she wanted me to prove it- which I did!
    Anyway, the children that weren't present with me on the day still had LJs looked at but she wasn't interested in any children that had left as I had had 2 year funded at the time but as they'd left she wasn't interested.