Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What goes where?!..

You'd think id know what I was doing by now but im making more and more work for myself and need to compile it better.

So as an example for one of the children I care for (2.5yrs old)

Daily diary..commented in by me & mum and sent home each day. This includes the days activities & photos etc.

Scrap book which contains the childs art work etc

What I don't know what to do with are:

The planning sheets & the 7 areas of learning sheets that I attach a photo to and show what the child has done/wow moments..

Can these go in the scrap book or do they go in a separate file & do I need anything else?

Thanks

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you like a scrap book format then use that for your learning journal - artwork, photos, obs, areas of learning, progress reviews, tracker sheet, starting points and 'all about me' if had those when child started- it all can go in there as one complete story of the child's progress. Make sure parents add to it too and add comments.

But it is up to you, if you want to seperate into different folder/scrapbooks that is up to you, whatever works for you. I like to keep it simple and keep it all together so I have 1 folder and then use an online system for all obs/progress reports... but we are all different.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our diaries just contain information about the child's day - a brief overview. We talk about food, sleeps, a little look at what the child has enjoyed in the day.

Our learning journey files contain photos, observations, assessments linked to early years outcomes, tracking, children's artwork and mark making examples and individual planning... we don't duplicate.

I don't duplicate - it's taken a while to find a way that works for me but it's important not to do too much - keep it relevant

4. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You sound like you do loads of valuable paperwork.
    I write a super detailed diary...but then this doubles up as obs...and if I don't have time daily/ weekly I have all the info to do catch up ....but, I know I can't talk about it on here...my £11 a month online software is brilliant.
    It really saves me tons of time.
    My routine of everybody has to rest between 1-2 means that I am able to write up most of the detailed diaries for 3 in this time...then I finish it between 5- 5.30 , DH uploads the photos during afternoon snack - the LO's love to look at photos.
    I jot down obs on ipad throughout the day..then put it into a coherant diary when they nap or when they leave.
    I spend one day a half term reviewing and assessing.
    Then I meet with Parents and we discuss and decide on progress and next steps together based on their and my assessments...with the online system they continually add their obs.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!

6. Likes BallyH liked this post
    Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I work very similiar to Moggy. I put all 'scrapbook' stuff in the back of their folder and put the latest artwork at the top. Then I have a basic learning app that parents access and I print off monthly with obs, photos, assessments, goals etc and that goes in front of the scrapbook stuff. All in one folder per child.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Similar to above - I use tapestry on-line learning journal for all observations - this includes photos & videos, I can print off next steps from the on-line journal but am learning to just read it on line and add the next steps to the observations instead. I take photos of the completed work to put in their on-line journals, keep small selection to go on display board in my porch and the rest gets sent home.

I have one folder for planning & registers & funding forms (where applicable) with dividers in so each child has their own section.

I e-mail home at the end of each day a daily activity / outing / meals / sleeps / nappy sheet so all copies of those filed on computer. I was finding that a different parent or grandparent would collect to the parent that dropped off and messages weren't getting back to mum, so found e-mailing the mum in the evening easier - I still do a verbal handover but my e-mail just confirms everything should there be a query.

9. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I combine everything on each child into one folder and then send it home every 6 weeks or so.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    If you like a scrap book format then use that for your learning journal - artwork, photos, obs, areas of learning, progress reviews, tracker sheet, starting points and 'all about me' if had those when child started- it all can go in there as one complete story of the child's progress. Make sure parents add to it too and add comments.

But it is up to you, if you want to seperate into different folder/scrapbooks that is up to you, whatever works for you. I like to keep it simple and keep it all together so I have 1 folder and then use an online system for all obs/progress reports... but we are all different.
    Just to add that artwork can go in the same scrap book, I actually photograph it for the online journal and send it all home. The children like to take it 'for mummy/daddy', the parents appreciate it and I don't want to store all the artwork here!

12. Likes Maza liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I photograph art work if it is a good example of a learning outcome/ CofL and have it on that days diary and link it to the outcome...I send all art work / Mark making home on the day, the LO's love showing it to parents and I know my parents have an art display at home....they pop their work on the back of the door during the day, but I don't have long term displays or keep it anywhere.
    When Ofsted inspected I asked my parents to bring me a sample of their work which I clipped into a trouser hanger.....she did have a quick look through them, but it just was evidence of the diverse range of artistic activities the children experience.

14. Likes Maza liked this post