Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: EYFS tracker???

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default EYFS tracker???

Hi, I'm very new to all of this!
    Could people advise me of where they get EYFS trackers from to do the initial assessments and subsequent ones.

Thank you

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As per my answer on your 'All About Me' thread. Same sources.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria85 View Post
    Hi, I'm very new to all of this!
    Could people advise me of where they get EYFS trackers from to do the initial assessments and subsequent ones.

Thank you
    When you record a summary of your observations and then assess a child's progress you are 'tracking' that learning...and record it in the child's Learning Journey or whatever document you use.
    Once the child has achieved the goal you set you move on with the next...that is tracking

You can use Development Matters and Early Years Outcomes (EYO) ...neither are statutory....or you can use anything else although inspector4s have to use EYO to judge outcomes.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth checking with your LA and other settings with whom you may end up working in partnership. Many have a 'preferred' version of a tracker document.

F'rinstance, my LA requires us to use their EY Tracker document if we receive funding for the so-called "free" 15 hours for 2-3-4yo's. They do try to tell us "it's an Ofsted requirement" to which I tell them "I wish I had a £ for every ignorant bonehead who's tried that particular lie on me."

Simona Guest

Sorry to deviate slightly from the subject...just a comment on what Bunyip has said about his LA asking for their tracker to be used as a condition of delivering funding.

I don't think this is in the EYFS and it could mean extra paperwork and time spent on it?...which may have an effect on the cost of childcare....worth putting it in the DfE consultation

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Our county's EY Tracker is just a cut-down version of EY Outcomes. If anything it saves time.

The down side is that it measures ("labels" perhaps?) a child as 'above', 'below' or 'on track' against a limited selection of achievement criteria.

Swings and roundabouts, really. Tbh, no bit of paper is a substitute for a relationship with the child, but the powers that be want the poor little mites documented and packaged as 'school ready' and that's about all there is too it.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Our county's EY Tracker is just a cut-down version of EY Outcomes. If anything it saves time.

The down side is that it measures ("labels" perhaps?) a child as 'above', 'below' or 'on track' against a limited selection of achievement criteria.

Swings and roundabouts, really. Tbh, no bit of paper is a substitute for a relationship with the child, but the powers that be want the poor little mites documented and packaged as 'school ready' and that's about all there is too it.
    ................and I'll be 'school ready' once I've learned the difference between "to" and "too"

...................................or even "learned" and "learnt".

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Any paperwork that is given in addition to what is 'required' in the EYFS is an extra amount of work...even LJs are actually not required or mentioned in the EYFS

With DM and EYO I personally see no need to have anything from my LA or anyone else ...why complicate what is in real terms a very simple process: observe and assess regularly but not in the way some tell us we must do to please the inspectors.

Assessing whether a child is showing progress that is 'emerging, expected or exceeding' is stating facts based on observations and evidence...not a label ...I recall doing that as far back as 1993 ...it is not new

Ready for school is not something I follow as it seems to be Wilshaw's obsession...children are ready for school when emotionally mature and ready to absorb formal schooling...that is not at age 2, 3 or even 4....if it was the entire world would put children in school at that age and no research is going to make me change my mind...read HMCI's speech yesterday and that sounds like social engineering to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Any paperwork that is given in addition to what is 'required' in the EYFS is an extra amount of work...even LJs are actually not required or mentioned in the EYFS

With DM and EYO I personally see no need to have anything from my LA or anyone else ...why complicate what is in real terms a very simple process: observe and assess regularly but not in the way some tell us we must do to please the inspectors.

Assessing whether a child is showing progress that is 'emerging, expected or exceeding' is stating facts based on observations and evidence...not a label ...I recall doing that as far back as 1993 ...it is not new

Ready for school is not something I follow as it seems to be Wilshaw's obsession...children are ready for school when emotionally mature and ready to absorb formal schooling...that is not at age 2, 3 or even 4....if it was the entire world would put children in school at that age and no research is going to make me change my mind...read HMCI's speech yesterday and that sounds like social engineering to me.
    Argh I knew I'd read this somewhere!!! Why are we all doing LJs (or so it seems) if they are not necessary? That's a question to myself as much as you guys! :-)

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post

Argh I knew I'd read this somewhere!!! Why are we all doing LJs (or so it seems) if they are not necessary? That's a question to myself as much as you guys! :-)
    You have to show progress the child is making if you don't have a lj how would you do this?

A lj may not be a actual requirement but it's actually a very easy way if showing progress. It also helps you when you are being inspected you have it to show not have to talk through 😊
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

Most providers call it LJ...you can call it what suits you best, I do not call it LJ
    In a way LJ is a 'common word' and we all know what we are talking about when we refer to it!
    We are certainly required to show assessment and progress but the EYFS does not specify the format or document we prepare....all it asks is to show what is necessary to promote L&D and I suppose ...evidence it!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I think I recall that this is what moggy (I think) previously mentioned, it's all coming back to me now! :-) thanks guys x

Simona Guest

Thanks guys, I think I recall that this is what moggy (I think) previously mentioned, it's all coming back to me now! :-) thanks guys x
    Ahhh...I seem to have missed the comment by Moggy...or was it in another thread?