Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting points

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I give parents what to expect when a parents guide and get the to high light what they know child can do, I then observe and set next steps and after a few weeks write an assessments with next steps . Three times a year I send home the guide with highlights of what I've seen (dates) and parents add anything they may have seen at home that I haven't.

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I give parents EYO and get the parents to highlight the statements that they think the child can do. I then spend the first 4 weeks gathering as many obs as I can to evidence these statements. After 4 weeks, on the tracker provided by my council, I highlight in one colour the statements provided by parents that I have witnessed and then in a second colour I add any extras that I've witnessed.

I like to use EYO as I don't personally use it or refer to it. So having one in each child's LJ shows that I know about the document.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Debworth View Post
    Ofsted also told me I need to have starting points from day 1. But they said it needs to come from the parents. Anyone have a template or recommend anything I can use to start making a form for parents?
    I don't know where to start as parents wont understand EYFS!
    Thanks
    Please give the parents 'What to expect when?' that is their version of the EYFS for their children and easy to understand....they can find it on the Foundation Years website

The parents will tell you what their children can do when they start with you...record it and in addition make your own observations
    Some call it 'All about me' others call it differently...your choice.

That is where you arrive at an 'assessment' of the child's starting points from day one...so jot down what you see and look at DM for guidance...it is also mentioned by the DfE

In order to assess and be sure of the starting points you need a little time to observe any child....it cannot be done quickly or your assessment will not do the children justice.

Good luck

4. Likes mookie liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12