Thoughts and ideas re daily communication please!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thoughts and ideas re daily communication please!

I'm having a think about making some changes to my daily communication with families (not Learning Journals, I think I'm happy with them!).

Currently they get a daily diary which lists the usuals (food/toileting/naps) and also what we've done that day. I never get a parent writing in the diary but most of them tell me when asked that they do want to know this information, the odd family could live without it! I'm thinking of streamlining this information to the basics and only providing it to families who want it and communicating the really interesting stuff (what we've been doing!) via another means. I do have a private FB page where I post lots of photos but it's a bit unruly and I was thinking of replacing the hundreds of photos with a daily summary including a few relevant photos (less photos, more information!). I could email this if a family did not wish to use FB and obviously I chat with parents about what we've been doing on collection depending on circumstances. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking I could keep these summaries in one document on the computer and print if required but I wouldn't print as a matter of course. Is there anything I should consider with regards to Data Protection if I'm providing a summary which has pictures of all the children on it - currently all families give permission for photos and are happy to see photos as a group on the FB page. Should I steer clear of mentioning names in my summary? Can I use initials instead or avoid all together?

Thank you!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    I'm having a think about making some changes to my daily communication with families (not Learning Journals, I think I'm happy with them!).

Currently they get a daily diary which lists the usuals (food/toileting/naps) and also what we've done that day. I never get a parent writing in the diary but most of them tell me when asked that they do want to know this information, the odd family could live without it! I'm thinking of streamlining this information to the basics and only providing it to families who want it and communicating the really interesting stuff (what we've been doing!) via another means. I do have a private FB page where I post lots of photos but it's a bit unruly and I was thinking of replacing the hundreds of photos with a daily summary including a few relevant photos (less photos, more information!). I could email this if a family did not wish to use FB and obviously I chat with parents about what we've been doing on collection depending on circumstances. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking I could keep these summaries in one document on the computer and print if required but I wouldn't print as a matter of course. Is there anything I should consider with regards to Data Protection if I'm providing a summary which has pictures of all the children on it - currently all families give permission for photos and are happy to see photos as a group on the FB page. Should I steer clear of mentioning names in my summary? Can I use initials instead or avoid all together?

Thank you!
    Is there a reason why you could not have a menu displayed somewhere that all parents can read?...lots of info in this way which parents have access to and decide to read or otherwise
    you could put your individual planning directly in the child's LJ but a general one on the wall or somewhere visible?

If the parents do not want to hear about nappy changes every day...I know many do not want to hear that....then say you would report if there is a change in normal pattern?

A diary is different form a LJ and from a child's planning...or whatever you do call your assessment report on children....the 3 should not cause you additional paperwork and not be repetitive

Put them on a table in front of you and reflect on what can be eliminated

Good luck...I know we are all different but no need to produce paperwork that is not even mentioned in the EYFS

Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching your thread with interest! I fill in 3/4 diaries every day which takes time and yet when parents collect LO they all ask me what we've been up to, how LO has been, have they eaten much etc etc. Basically everything in the diary! This evening I had all LOs ready with coats and shoes on by the door as parents arrived and yet stood with my front door wide open, letting all my heating out whilst we discussed LOs day . Diaries seem pointless to me!

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Watching your thread with interest! I fill in 3/4 diaries every day which takes time and yet when parents collect LO they all ask me what we've been up to, how LO has been, have they eaten much etc etc. Basically everything in the diary! This evening I had all LOs ready with coats and shoes on by the door as parents arrived and yet stood with my front door wide open, letting all my heating out whilst we discussed LOs day . Diaries seem pointless to me!
    It is so funny what different experiences we have with parents! Mine hardly discuss anything on the doorstep but love the diaries, read them thoroughly and write lots in them, I write a lot in them too. But then, I do not encourage chat on the doorstep.

5. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Two of my families want the diaries and one does not (I could have predicted which without asking . I now provide a little photo collage and a summary of what we've done each day which they all seem to like, takes me a few minutes at the end of the day and is good for me to look back on too, I may print from time to time

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I reviewed what I was doing a year ago.

I now combine the Daily Diary and LJ in one document that goes back and forth every day. It saves me recording daily activities in two different documents. It means that the document is sent back and forth every day. I get great feedback from the parents and it saves me time. I keep them with me over one weekend a month to add any longer obs and to add more photos.

I use the Daily Diaries from Butterfly Press they cost £2 each and are perfect. When I showed them to Ofsted in March at a workshop they were more than happy with them and the information in them. They actually don't expect tons of paperwork, or assessments all the time. The LJ shows the child's progress and how they are following next steps their is no need for any additional 'reports' and we are not required under EYFS to do them. The only formal documents required are the 2 year Check and the Profile which is normally done at the end of Reception in school. In fact strictly according to EYFS we do not have to have written Daily Diaries or Individual Learning Journals all we have to know is how the children in our care are progressing.

I know cm who don't do either, they have a setting photo album which shows what has been happening in the setting as a whole and they know their children and EYFS inside out. They have been graded Outstanding. Makes you think.

May 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I have a lot of paperwork I don't need - I'm often trying to streamline it and have way less than I did when I started! I was posting lots of photos for parents to our private Facebook page but there were lots of them and it was getting a bit unwieldy! It suits me just to post a little collage every day and I like adding the text - it tells parents what we've been doing, it acts as a diary and something I can show prospective parents, Ofsted, whoever! My Daily Diaries are separate from Learning Journals and are the day to day stuff that some parents like to know - if not they don't need to have one.

My Learning Journals consist of Daily Observations - I scribble them down as I go along and add photos where relevant. From time to time I do an observation in the format of a Learning Story which focuses on Characteristics of Effective Learning rather than Learning Outcomes (though they're in there too!) and every few weeks/months (depending on how often I have a child but usually termly as most of my children are term time only) I put together a summary for parents which is basically a roundup of Observations over the previous time frame - they're particularly interested in the photos but it's a fairly succinct summary of progress and helps me to re-focus on Next Steps.

Simona Guest

As Rickysmiths has confirmed from what I said in my post....neither diaries nor LJs are required in the EYFS, also the 2 are totally different?

It is also been confirmed that we are all different and do things in a different way...but one thing is obvious from reading the threads...the repetition? ...why so many different kinds of 'documentation'?
    why write in a diary what the child does when is part of the planning?
    why write the food eaten when the menu explains it all?

I won't get answers ...I know that.... but just curious anyway

I can see why Cms constantly complain about 'paperwork'...we seem to have the ability to create it at will.... rather than do what is required in our unique way.
    Soon it will all change due to Education and Health combining their services...maybe this is the time for reflection on how to cut down?

Kathy Brodie wrote a wonderful blog on LJs recently...worth reading...I am glad I prompted her

Good, Quality Documentation

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks simona, interesting read.

I do a daily diary as all my parents like it/read it, and it means I don't HAVE to do verbal handovers, plus several of my children are dropped off/collected by family members other than parents, or I meet and return children at school and it means relevant info goes home.

I have a menu plan on the wall, and an activity plan ... these are more for my benefit that anyone else!

LJ have mainly photo obs, and I use 2simple which I find quick and easy. I do a summative assessment every 6 months or so, which I share with parents, along with a catch up through LJ. although I am currently querying my 'need' for a summative assessment ( apart from 2 yr check ). I have a bit on the bottom saying what areas I am working on, and ideas for things for parents to do at home ... so I might just do that, rather than write an overview of each child, when it is there in black and white in the 'tracker'.

I don't find my paperwork time consuming, as it only takes a few minutes each day ( as long as I do it each day! )