dates for early years outcomes
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    june 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dates for early years outcomes

I have been doing a monthly observation on a child i have for 1 day a week have done 3 so far and linked the obs with the eyfs . Am planning on doing termly reviews using the obs etc. But when marking off on the eyo's can i just put autumn term , winter term or do i have to put the exact date the child did it ?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got dates on the eyo , but I would think that termly should be fine - you are showing progression which I all that is required. I would find it hard that with just one ob a month to show progress across all areas , Im not suggesting you make more work for yourself but a couple of extra obs might actually make things easier overall!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by claire85 View Post
    I have been doing a monthly observation on a child i have for 1 day a week have done 3 so far and linked the obs with the eyfs . Am planning on doing termly reviews using the obs etc. But when marking off on the eyo's can i just put autumn term , winter term or do i have to put the exact date the child did it ?
    The EYO and Development Matters go by age and stage of development
    When you do your termly review you would date that and also the age the child is so that you can refer to 'expected, emerging or exceeding' outcomes?
    The EYFS requirement is for 'ongoing formative' assessment...which Ofsted look for in their inspection and indicated in their updated factsheets

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do actual dates on each obs, actual date on each termly review (written up on an A4). I find it more professional and clear for anyone looking at it.

You say you do 'A monthly observation'- do you mean once a month you write up notes on things you have observed over the month over several Areas? if so, that is several obs and each needs a date (21/9/14: Child did xxx PSED. 29/9/14: Child enjoyed xxx- CL... etc). For a young child, a week or two is a long time and lots of things can happen, if there is ever a concern about development then an exact date might help when looking into it.

or... do you literally mean ONE obs a month (ie: 1 of your 'monthly obs': 'Sept'14: child started to drink from an open cup without spilling- PD'. If so, that would need a date. And you might find you need to do more than one a month to cover all the Areas, some days I can do 2-3 obs in just one day as they do so many things!