Likes Likes:  47
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, loocyloo, for your very helpful response. It is very much appreciated. I too feel I am doing too much and repeating myself every three months and every six months or so does seem to be more achievable and give a better outline of progress and development.

Many thanks, again and have a lovely Sunday!

Post Thanks / Like

I also do 6 monthly reviews, I think you'll be absolutely fine making the change :-)

3. Likes Wiggle Wiggle liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Natlou82, for your response. It is very helpful to know that you are completing these every six months as well.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember that Sarah Neville said on a post that she does the summative assessments around the time of the child's birthday and then again in 6 months time - in theory that should spread them out throughout the year rather than stress yourself out trying to do them all at the same time (unless like me all the children have birthday's close together). I also do a Summative assessment as a transition form when a child is leaving for school or nursery.

6. Likes Wiggle Wiggle, sarah707 liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Hectors House for your response and good to know that you are doing them every six months as well and that you noted that Sarah is in a previous post stated every six months. Birthday and six month point after this seems a good idea. It is good to know as they do take time to do and with a lot of them to complete, every six months is more achievable and also more worthwhile as can see progress much more I think.

Many thanks, again for your response.

8. Likes hectors house liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was delivering training to some childminder colleagues this week and they were doing observations on each child every day!! ... and wondering why they were feeling swamped and overwhelmed and wanting to give up

Remember - observations should say something about the child - they should celebrate achievements or note where the child needs support ... they don't need to be a page of a4 - they can be a few words.

The most important thing - and this is emphasised in the new inspection framework - is that your documentation shows children making progress!!

Hth

10. Likes Maza, rickysmiths liked this post
    July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the least possible and still feeling swamped.

I did 2 progress summaries in March, 2 in April and nearly finished 1 today. As well as getting my tax sorted and submitted last week. I don't do a huge amount of written/computer work but the summaries take me a couple of hrs to complete 2 sides of a4. Thinking of what parents can do at home stresses me out the most.

My observations are behind, they are in my head but not written and I'm not finding time to write in daily diaries as much as I used to. I have 3 little ones leaving in July/Aug and all I can think of is 'Phew, thats 3 LJs finished!'
    I'll have new ones to start but it' sort of a finishing point and I can have a breather.

Not panicking though, i'll get there.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I do the least possible and still feeling swamped.

I did 2 progress summaries in March, 2 in April and nearly finished 1 today. As well as getting my tax sorted and submitted last week. I don't do a huge amount of written/computer work but the summaries take me a couple of hrs to complete 2 sides of a4. Thinking of what parents can do at home stresses me out the most.

My observations are behind, they are in my head but not written and I'm not finding time to write in daily diaries as much as I used to. I have 3 little ones leaving in July/Aug and all I can think of is 'Phew, thats 3 LJs finished!'
    I'll have new ones to start but it' sort of a finishing point and I can have a breather.

Not panicking though, i'll get there.
    I've really shortened my summaries ... as I email parents obs each month (I use 2simple) ... so i don't put where the children are/ages/stages etc...all I do is a max of 3/4 next steps and then suggestions how parents can help ... and this is usually by sharing stories&photographs/playing games/going to the park etc . I try to find things that the parents already do or are easy to do.
    I do them in theory every term, but in practice every 6 mths or more! It's A5 size ... But not small print!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12