In a quandary with Reception Age Learning Journeys!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In a quandary with Reception Age Learning Journeys!

Dear All,

Now that the New EYFS 2014 has arrived, I have a new child who has just started with me in Reception. In previous years, I have maintained a Learning Journey and shared with the child’s school.

I am now aware this is no longer a requirement so my question is what are you doing now with Reception Age children who are still in the EYFS. Will you still be sharing with the child’s school and what will you be sharing if not doing observations etc. like in the normal learning journey.

I am overdue inspection hence, I am concerned if I do not do what I did previously that it may impact on me.

Many thanks.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post
    Dear All,

Now that the New EYFS 2014 has arrived, I have a new child who has just started with me in Reception. In previous years, I have maintained a Learning Journey and shared with the child’s school.

I am now aware this is no longer a requirement so my question is what are you doing now with Reception Age children who are still in the EYFS. Will you still be sharing with the child’s school and what will you be sharing if not doing observations etc. like in the normal learning journey.

I am overdue inspection hence, I am concerned if I do not do what I did previously that it may impact on me.

Many thanks.
    In most LAs reception children will be full-time within a few weeks of starting school ...this was the same under EYFS 2012....so you will not be required to do a LJ or the EYFS bit but...you can compliment what the child does at school
    You can do a folder for the child with photos so the parents know what you provide after school

Talk to the parents and ...if your school is open to dialogue with cms...see how you can help the child with reading/homework...some teachers are very open to communication with cms, others are not....and she/he may tell you what you can do

Hope this helps

Apr 99
    Post Thanks / Like

I had written a letter to my children's Reception Teachers asking them if they could advise me what subjects/themes they were covering so that I could support the children (This was two years ago when they went part time until Christmas and they were with me from lunch time). I had copy of letter in each child's file. It did take school a while to reply but when Ofsted Inspector saw it she explained to her trainee whom she had with her, that it showed how I was communicating with the school.

4. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

Thank you, Simona and GWM for your responses, much appreciated.

Aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reception Children don't need to have a Learning Journey??

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    In most LAs reception children will be full-time within a few weeks of starting school ...this was the same under EYFS 2012....so you will not be required to do a LJ or the EYFS bit but...you can compliment what the child does at school
    You can do a folder for the child with photos so the parents know what you provide after school

Talk to the parents and ...if your school is open to dialogue with cms...see how you can help the child with reading/homework...some teachers are very open to communication with cms, others are not....and she/he may tell you what you can do

Hope this helps
    I have just come across this thread and was surprised to read that you are discussing that we don't need to complete a Learning Journey for Reception Children? I have just become a childminder and I didn't get that from any of my training, I am lead to believe that any child under 5 should follow the EYFS and have a learning journey. I have started 3 files, as I have a 2year old, and then after school for a couple of hours, I have 2 children that have started reception full time. Where does it state we do not need to do a learning journey for my full time reception children?
    Thanks, this is good news if so, as they are not with me long enough to arrange activities and follow the EYFS.

7. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When the children are in school full time it is considered that the EYFS requirements are covered in school and the wrap around carer doesn't do an LJ. Just the same way as Breakfast Clubs and After School Clubs have never done them.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Open pdf of New Improved EYFS 2014.
    2. Press Ctrl-F to open search tool.
    3. Type "Learning Journal" or "Learning Journey" or "LJ" or similar.
    4. Press return key.
    5. Be amazed at the lack of entries in New Improved EYFS for any such thing.

Hence, the question "Where does it state we do not need to do a learning journey for my full time reception children?" has exactly the same answer as "Where does it state we do need to do a learning journey for my full time reception children?"

The only firm conclusion to be drawn is that DofE/Ofsted are proponents of the 'Mushroom Principle' when it comes to guidance for CMs.

10. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I speak to parents and teacher and find out how they want me to complement the child's learning ... usually reading school book if we have time, a bit of homework and then lots of chilling and playing after a hard day at school

12. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Aug 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    1. Open pdf of New Improved EYFS 2014.
    2. Press Ctrl-F to open search tool.
    3. Type "Learning Journal" or "Learning Journey" or "LJ" or similar.
    4. Press return key.
    5. Be amazed at the lack of entries in New Improved EYFS for any such thing.

Hence, the question "Where does it state we do not need to do a learning journey for my full time reception children?" has exactly the same answer as "Where does it state we do need to do a learning journey for my full time reception children?"

The only firm conclusion to be drawn is that DofE/Ofsted are proponents of the 'Mushroom Principle' when it comes to guidance for CMs.
    Thanks.... and so therefore do I not need to write ANY observations at all? Should I still have a file with pictures then? And perhaps write a little bit about what they were doing? I am feeling rather confused!

14. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

LJs ...or whatever other format ...have not been required since EYFS 2008
    if you still have a copy look at p9...this is what it says:
    'A cm who sees a child for 2 hours a day should consider what the child's individual needs are at that time of day and ensure that the provision they deliver is both appropriate to those needs and [B]complimentary to the education and care provided in the child's other settings'

I would take that to mean the education received in reception classes and we 'compliment' that

what children need after school and at that time of the day is relaxing, time to chill and play...being free to move around and away from whiteboards....maybe reading their school book and a bit of homework...if time allows it...although parents should be encouraged to do reading themselves at home to be able to discuss this at teacher/parents meetings
    We can do a folder for the parents with lots of photos showing the fun children have after a hard day at school ...at age 3...or 4...or even 2 now!

Does anyone know of any 'wraparound care' who does LJs?...I doubt it ...so why do we keep asking ourselves if cms should be the exception and do LJs?
    If an inspector asks for one point her to the EYFS and ask where does she see this requirement?...and keep us posted to whatever her reply is !
    Last edited by Simona; 20-09-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is that we still have to know 'where a child is at' developmentally and promote learning and development. We have to work together with the school and parents to achieve that. That's a rough paraphrase of what the regs are getting at. Refer to footnote to section 1.1 ; and section 3.40; plus any other bits I've missed in the Sunday morning fug.

LJs are merely one way of recording learning and development and, as Simona says, are never an absolute requirement. I use them cos I need visual stuff and can't keep everything (Maybe that should read "anything" ) in my head; cos parents like to look at the pictures, even if they can't be ar5ed to read what I've written; and (resentfully) to keep the inspector happy, since Ofsted have a nasty habit of adding their own expectations to the regs when they really should be limited to enforcing only what DofE has put in the regs.

I do an LJ for reception children, but it is a cut-down version with far fewer entries than I do for the preschoolers. I also do a standard letter to school asking how to best support the child, blah blah, to which I receive a standard reply about rehearsing what they've learnt in class, blah blah. I add photos to my display wall too, just in case one of the less bright inspectors drops by who can't manage to open a LJ. Btw, I don't set out to be unfair to inspectors: some are good, but I know our local preschool was criticised for "inadequate training and policies" when the inspector never even bothered to open the training and policy folders.

Parents generally accept that this support will depend on the child, of which their appear to be 2 main types, either:-
    1. Those who are absolutely cream-crackered after a day's concentration in class. These want to eat, paint or play quietly, and/or collapse exhausted.
    2. Those who are real live wires, frustrated by a day cooped up in class. These want to charge around like a mad thing and demolish the garden.
    Last edited by bunyip; 21-09-2014 at 08:14 AM.

17. Likes mum67, Ripeberry, TinyTinker liked this post
    Simona Guest

I was once again yesterday reading about 'teaching schools'...these will basically and apparently...lead the EY sector as the govt is telling us they should and the govt has invested further money in this ...I believe a few million ££££ was mentioned

Two questions come to mind:

1. many providers report that schools are often not very interested in our record sharing...other schools are very welcoming of our LJs or the transfer summaries we do before children move to school
    Once children are in school the info sharing becomes a 'blurred line'...hope I got that right?

2. Once these schools lead us in their infinite wisdom will they insist on info sharing?
    Will they also insist that all providers...be CMs, nurseries and preschools also put a good info sharing in practice?

19. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well next time around, I'm going to ask Mrs O why she bothered coming.

What's the point of inspecting us if Wilshaw believes our clients are bad parents for sending their children to us when they should be in school before they're even out of nappies?

21. Likes mum67, Ripeberry liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    Well next time around, I'm going to ask Mrs O why she bothered coming.

What's the point of inspecting us if Wilshaw believes our clients are bad parents for sending their children to us when they should be in school before they're even out of nappies?

You may remember Bunyip that Wilshaw stated in July 2012 that cms were better at offering care than education...we are also too expensive to inspect and he wanted out of the EYFS

having driven the push to put 2 year olds in schools I hope Wilshaw has the courage to admit that schools are not that enthusiastic about the project?
    I believe only 12% have welcomed 2 year olds...maybe teachers are wise old beavers and know what is best for children?

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am really p***ed off now, on Thursday I have my very elusive DO calling (if she remembers) to talk to me about the free funding and has harped on about having my LJ out for her to look at! So if it isn't necessary since the 2008 EYFS why the hell did they ram it down our throats on pre reg (2012 EYFS) to have one.

I didn't want to do the funding because of all the bad press I have heard about it but need children to mind both for my sanity in the day and to earn dosh

There is so much contradiction I daren't not have something incase one denies me funding and another gives me a really bad grading

24. Likes bunyip liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I do like the fact of them for a momento for the lo's when they leave and to show their development and wow moments throughout their time with us but the pressure about paperwork that isn't a requirement is getting ridiculous.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post
    Well I am really p***ed off now, on Thursday I have my very elusive DO calling (if she remembers) to talk to me about the free funding and has harped on about having my LJ out for her to look at! So if it isn't necessary since the 2008 EYFS why the hell did they ram it down our throats on pre reg (2012 EYFS) to have one.

I didn't want to do the funding because of all the bad press I have heard about it but need children to mind both for my sanity in the day and to earn dosh

There is so much contradiction I daren't not have something incase one denies me funding and another gives me a really bad grading
    I'm maybe a little unfair of Ofsted, as I'm always accusing them of adding their own ideas to the regulatory requirements. Tbf, they're not the only ones. Consider how often 'requirements' of what we "have to do" are stuff made up by DO's, trainers, pacey reps, some know-all at CM group, and you see that Ofsted are merely one brick in the wall.

27. Likes mum67 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mum67 View Post

What we are required or encouraged to do is to share children's progress...in whichever format suits us
    Some call it LJs others use different terminology
    Even Truss in one of her latest interviews said LJs were not required...so up to you what you call it or how you report to parents and how you evidence to Ofsted....how often you update it or how many obs you do and assessment drawn from them

Your DO should not require to see LJs as condition of funding but we know they are all different...what is required is a grade of good/outstanding and quality care

It is not compulsory to draw funding either...up to you
    Many cms are happy with 2 yo because the funding is often adequate but pitiful when children get to 3....others get adequate funding for all ages

As independent cm you are in charge of your decisions and on the sustainability of your business
    Once you get inspected you could consider then about drawing funding...so not sure what your DO is up to? unless your LA allows cms without a grade to be funded?...it is possible and many LAs do that...they also fund Inadequate/RI cms...so there is no uniform rule

Hope your meeting goes well this week ...keep us posted

29. Likes mum67 liked this post