caractoristics of learning and next steps
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default caractoristics of learning and next steps

Just a quick questions do I have to link every observation whether it be a post it note or a long written ob to the caractoristics of learning?

And do I need to do next steps for post it note and photo obs or just long written obs?

Glitter Guest

I don't link every observation. Sometimes my observations are just because the child did something cute that the parents would like, so linking it would be a waste of time.

My next steps sometimes come from short or long observations. I only add next steps if they are relevant to what the child have been doing. I think Ofsted prefer to see that the next steps are relevant to the child, and will help to further their learning.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too! I note most things but not all are linked to EYFS, not all have COEL with them, and not all have next steps. If I do a long observation then I'll add all the stuff.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no 'have to's with obs. Be they long or short...
    It is good if some of your obs have links to areas of learning.
    It is good if some of your obs have links to characteristics of learning.
    It is good if some of your obs have next steps.

I only put a link to Characteristics or add a Next Step if it is obvious, relevant and useful.
    I do link all obs to one or more Area of Learning, but I just find that easy to do.
    I do not link to Aspects, but if asked I could say which Aspect each was relating to.

Do what makes sense to you, not because you feel you 'should'.