Obseravtions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Obseravtions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Obseravtions

Just want to ask- on obs I obviously out what the child does, and link it to the area of development.
    Do I have to put how I helped the child?
    And do I have to out the characteristic of learning? Am I right there are 3? (Can someone refresh me on these?)
    I also put on the bottom the next steps, Is this all right?

Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to put how you've helped the child in every ob as the ob may be something the child has done out of the blue that you had no control over. When you do next steps you could write how you helped to develop this from a previous ob though. If appropriate I do write the characteristics (playing & exploring, active learning and creating and thinking critically) my Ofsted inspector was particularly interested in the characteristics and it helps to have a good idea of the way in which the children learn.

Next steps at the bottom is fine although not every ob will have a next step

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is what I do: I write exactly what happened, including what I did if I was involved. Eg X passed me the leaf, I took it and said 'thank you'. Then link to area of learning. I'll put the COEL if it's obvious (often if there isn't a clear cut area of learning, it fits in the COELs). I don't always put next steps, again sometimes there's an obvious one. Eg Y took first step - encourage and provide opportunity for further walking. I've downloaded some useful hex diagrams from teacher's pet website. I use these constantly for the characteristics, plus they look nice!