Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Part time children and learning records

A reminder to all members!

If you are working with children in the Eyfs - for more than 2 hours a day (see note 1) - you must deliver the full Eyfs - a baseline assessment showing what the child can do when they first start with you, brief observations of learning, assessments linking learning to Early Years Outcomes, evidence of how you are teaching the child - individual / next steps planning, notes about how you support learning at home, a few comments about how the child learns (their learning characteristics), evidence of working with other settings and parents...

You do NOT have to write reams - a few notes for part time children will build up into a good Learning Journey over time and will be enough to show they are making good progress - but you do have to write something. It's a statutory requirement of the Eyfs and if you do not do learning and development information for part time children - even if they spend most of their time elsewhere (see note 2 re school aged children) - you risk a grade of 'inadequate' or, at best 'requires improvement' at your next Ofsted inspection.

Note 1 - I say 2 hours because that's the generally accepted cut off as anyone and their neighbour can do 2 hours care without having to pick up a pen...

Note 2 - school aged children - EYFS requirement 1.3 states that, when children start school, we need to discuss with parents and other practitioners the support we intend to offer (reading books, free play, chill out time etc) and complement children’s learning in other settings. I recommend you record what parents and other settings have said so you can show your commitment to partnership working. A lot of cms have scrap books for older children but these are not a requirement and will rarely be inspected by Ofsted.

2. Likes Maza, Shamai, Happiness liked this post
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for explaining that Sarah - there are often posts on here about doing LJ's for very part time children, so that should be clear to everyone now

4. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah!

I'm currently doing my course so great to have heads up on what expected etc. Loving this site! x

Aug2013
    Post Thanks / Like

Every other Saturday I look after a boy who was 5 in October. He obviously is in full time education He has a LJ with ' All about me' section and uses it for his art work and etc.. Do I need to do any observations etc,? TIA x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happiness View Post
    Every other Saturday I look after a boy who was 5 in October. He obviously is in full time education He has a LJ with ' All about me' section and uses it for his art work and etc.. Do I need to do any observations etc,? TIA x
    He is 5 - school age - see note 2

8. Likes Happiness liked this post
    jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a little one starting (age 3) who is full time at nursery. He will be coming to me for 45 mins on a morning then I will take him to nursery. (The 45 min includes breakfast time and 10/15 mins journey there). I will be picking up and he will be with me for 2 hours. In that 2 hrs we usually have play in the park after school (usually 20/30 mins, then 10/15 min journey home), then I will make tea while he will have free play with my after schoolies. Then at the table eating (usually 20/30 mins, then tidy up/quiet time/story time before home. Am I expected to do a daily diary, LJ, obs or EYO for this child?? I know I wouldn't be expected to do this for two hrs care but his total time with me is over 2 hrs. (2hrs 45) Or would it only make a difference if it was consecutive hrs of care??? Because it's just pick up and drop off, in the time i have him I don't really get to 'spend time' with him as such to do anything. I'll be making breakfast, walking him to and from nursery, making tea, clearing the day away and maybe get time to sit and read a story before home. So I won't be intending to do 'activities' with him as there's not enough time to do anything . Will ofsted expect to see things for him for the time he spends with me or will it just be the nursey he goes to that is expected to record everything???
    Last edited by happyfeet; 09-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by happyfeet View Post
    I have a little one starting (age 3) who is full time at nursery. He will be coming to me for 45 mins on a morning then I will take him to nursery. (The 45 min includes breakfast time and 10/15 mins journey there). I will be picking up and he will be with me for 2 hours. In that 2 hrs we usually have play in the park after school (usually 20/30 mins, then 10/15 min journey home), then I will make tea while he will have free play with my after schoolies. Then at the table eating (usually 20/30 mins, then tidy up/quiet time/story time before home. Am I expected to do a daily diary, LJ, obs or EYO for this child?? I know I wouldn't be expected to do this for two hrs care but his total time with me is over 2 hrs. (2hrs 45) Or would it only make a difference if it was consecutive hrs of care??? Because it's just pick up and drop off, in the time i have him I don't really get to 'spend time' with him as such to do anything. I'll be making breakfast, walking him to and from nursery, making tea, clearing the day away and maybe get time to sit and read a story before home. So I won't be intending to do 'activities' with him as there's not enough time to do anything . Will ofsted expect to see things for him for the time he spends with me or will it just be the nursey he goes to that is expected to record everything???
    In this scenario, thinking about Ofsted reports and how other cms have been graded for providing this sort of care, I think the most important thing you will need to do is to work in partnership with nursery and complement his care there.

Yes you will need to do some sort of learning file - starting points, brief observations, notes to show what you are planning for the child to help him make progress - but mostly it will be about his learning at nursery and home and how you are linking in with that.

Diaries are a personal choice - what do parents want you to do? You have to show that you are sharing information and learning ideas with home - how will you record that info?

Hth

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention . This will be my longest time with him and just for one day per
    Week.
    I have one day drop off (45 mins care)
    one day pick up (2hrs care) and one day drop off and pick up (2hrs 45 mins) ??

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happyfeet View Post
    You're taking him to the park - physical development, Understanding the World; tidy up time - PSE, Maths; reading stories - Communication and Language, Literacy; Throw in a song and you've got all the areas covered You don't need to write reams, just note a few things down to share with parents and nursery.

jan 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!