Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: observations

Registered Childminder since
    21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default observations

I wonder if anyone can tell me what area of learning and subsection you would put for a child eating samosas for the eade celebration please? I would put it in utw but cannot find a suitable subsection, am I reading it too literally? Thanks in advance.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd say UTW too and not worry about a sub-section.

21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I could do that but I'm using the 2simple early years app which has subsections you have to select. using it means I can do obs and write up whilst caring for the children.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's why I stopped using Orbit! Put it under people and communities, then. Alternatively, PD, health and self-care. 16-26 months 'willing to try new food textures and shapes'.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is important that you do not use Early Years Outcomes as a tick list - you don't need to link every obs to a statement that's not what it is about!

it is a guide to what children might be doing / saying at around each age range and our job is to think whether they are doing / saying appropriate things or working below or above age - then we can plan for their future learning.

You will drive yourself potty if you try to find a sentence for each observation. Hugs x

6. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your advice Sarah and sing low. I wanted to use the app to make life easier, unfortunately it will not let me select area of learning without selecting a subsection so it seems like a pointless tool. Guess I'll have to go back to the traditional way. :-(

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you connect it to characteristics of learning?

Exploration - willing to have a go - being involved- etc etc

However I have to say I wouldn't worry too much about not connecting it to something.

Normally On these occasions when it doesn't quite fit a particular area I just send it to the album and if I feel I need to just write what general area its linked to in the notes. I send lots of things to the album instead of linking it to areas of learning of development or to characteristics of learning - most of the time we are just having fun and have often already covered the areas several times so don't feel I need to link them each time.

I love the app I use but don't beat myself up if I'm not linking to it all the time. Its also about providing enabling environments and positive relationships but I bet we don't always record that in our observations but by providing this kind of activity any ofsted officer would see you are providing appropriate activities.

21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea blue bell, I shall give it a go :-)

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was going to say the same as bluebell. Sometimes I just do the ob and once printing it out and putting it in LJ I then add the area I think is covered.
    I did ask 2simple if there was a way to just add the main area but apparently it's not that simple! Email and ask them. Maybe if more of us email and ask things will get changed.

21Dec11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you :-)