Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Diary - Help!

Evening all
    I am really new to all this, only registered in December and have my first little one starting next week! They will be doing two and half days to start with and are 27 months.
    My question is, I am fairly confident with the idea of a learning journal, and planning ahead using the EYFS. I see this as a formal document where I will sit down and think about their progress and plan ahead etc. I would expect to do this about once a month (am I right?)
    My big question is how do I record the daily / general stuff? I know in my mind, it will be things like " played with play-doh - talked about colours, what it felt like etc." but where and how do I record this? I have seen people talk about daily diaries and scrap books. Is a scrapbook okay or too informal? Would you photocopy it for the parent or give the parent the original and keep a copy to show Ofsted inspectors.
    As you can see it is all a little bit of a blur - and so way out of my comfort zone! (The paperwork that is - not the child care bit! )
    I would be grateful for any suggestions or templates that I can 'pinch'
    Thanks again

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

My learning journal is a folder (used to use scrapbooks) with observations photos bus tickets etc all identified in area of learning and next steps, roughly works put at four a month. But obviously children don't learn one thing a week they might learn four things on one morning, so the amount I do is totally led by the children's personal development.

My daily diary is a note book where I write each day how the day has gone, I might add the odd phot or onbservation of I want to share with parent today, parents are encouraged to sign each entry and add any comments to it too.

So today (fictional)

Mary was such an angel held her hands out to me,came to me for a cuddle and blew daddy a kiss. Daddy said she had been up in the night for no real reason but might be tired.

We played with the happy street people,she like posting them down the dolls house chilmeny and would clap her sucess.
    We got ready and went to toddlers,we sang wheels on the bus as we walked, Mary told me 'tat" when she spotted a cat.
    Mary was really adventurous at toddlers going offf to explore and checking in with me regularly. We painted a picture together and sang songs, Mary joined in the actions to wheels on the bus.

Snack, crumpet with butter, apple and milk.

And on it goes..
    Some days it's very brief with bullet points
    Went to toddlers, snack, clean nappy at time (wet)
    Lunch
    Slept
    Really enjoyed playing with the pasta today.

Really depends how much time I have to write, parents are told the children come first not the diary.

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

We all do it differently, but this is what I do:

Daily diary - this is for the parents to read so they have so idea about whether we've been out or stayed in, whether we've played with cars or dolls, how much they've slept / eaten, how many nappies (if they're interested in that, some are some aren't)

My own, private diary - this is a bit more technical, here I detail the specific activities and any thoughts on improvements / changes needed, I also record food I've served, anyone else who's been here, how happy the child has been, any expenses I've incurred and the total hours I've worked (helps with tax return!).

Then, observations - little ones that I use for wow moments and then bigger ones that I link into EYFS a bit more. Any pictures they do I pop in a scrap book, or photograph and send home, then the photo goes into the scrap book. My big observations, my wow moment sheets, any feedback forms and termly assessments are filed chronologically and make up the learning journey. I also a photo montage each month for the parents, this is emailed and a copy goes in the learning journey. The obs are where I pick out the purpose behind the activity - so "Today I set up a play doh activity with buttons to encourage fine motor skill, this was a hit with X who demonstrated his skills well and we also discussed the colours of the buttons..."

There's a bit of duplication but not too much, if the daily diaries get lost, it's not the end of the world 'cos I still know what happened from my own diary. I also take lots and lots of photo's as they say, a picture speaks a thousand words and if I've ever forgotten to write something down, nine times out of ten the photo's will remind me!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    My learning journal is a folder (used to use scrapbooks) with observations photos bus tickets etc all identified in area of learning and next steps, roughly works put at four a month. But obviously children don't learn one thing a week they might learn four things on one morning, so the amount I do is totally led by the children's personal development.

My daily diary is a note book where I write each day how the day has gone, I might add the odd phot or onbservation of I want to share with parent today, parents are encouraged to sign each entry and add any comments to it too.

So today (fictional)

Mary was such an angel held her hands out to me,came to me for a cuddle and blew daddy a kiss. Daddy said she had been up in the night for no real reason but might be tired.

We played with the happy street people,she like posting them down the dolls house chilmeny and would clap her sucess.
    We got ready and went to toddlers,we sang wheels on the bus as we walked, Mary told me 'tat" when she spotted a cat.
    Mary was really adventurous at toddlers going offf to explore and checking in with me regularly. We painted a picture together and sang songs, Mary joined in the actions to wheels on the bus.

Snack, crumpet with butter, apple and milk.

And on it goes..
    Some days it's very brief with bullet points
    Went to toddlers, snack, clean nappy at time (wet)
    Lunch
    Slept
    Really enjoyed playing with the pasta today.

Really depends how much time I have to write, parents are told the children come first not the diary.
    I do similar, I like to write as much detail as I can as it adds to my observations. I usually write diary and upload pics ( I use an electronic system) whilst LO's are asleep. it helps me reflect on what they have achieved and my next steps .
    But I have time to do this and Obs informing planning as I do not have my own children at home.

You need to find a way that suits your family and lifestyle, parents, and if O comes visiting .....

Sept 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I do daily diaries for under 3's (or older depending how their speech is) & mine are a5 books. Each day I write c.a page & include, what they've eaten/drunk, nappies (usually a summary eg plenty of wet nappies, no dirty) and a summary of AM & PM activities ie went to toddler group, X played in the home corner with Y, lovely turning taking & sharing, sang nursery rhymes, came home for some free play & X choose the train track "choochoo".

I don't keep a copy for Ofsted but they did want to see ones of the children I had during inspection & commented on the lack of parental feedback. I've since stopped texting so much with things like routine changes, checking holiday, asking for feedback on at home activities for crafts & where possible inviting a response in the book. Eg. X is increasingly disinterested in his morning bottle. I'm obviously happy to continue but can give him a cup of milk with the other children if you want?

The only other thing I have a LJ which includes obs, photos, feedback fro parents, artwork pictures etc

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antics View Post
    Evening all
    I am really new to all this, only registered in December and have my first little one starting next week! They will be doing two and half days to start with and are 27 months.
    My question is, I am fairly confident with the idea of a learning journal, and planning ahead using the EYFS. I see this as a formal document where I will sit down and think about their progress and plan ahead etc. I would expect to do this about once a month (am I right?)
    My big question is how do I record the daily / general stuff? I know in my mind, it will be things like " played with play-doh - talked about colours, what it felt like etc." but where and how do I record this? I have seen people talk about daily diaries and scrap books. Is a scrapbook okay or too informal? Would you photocopy it for the parent or give the parent the original and keep a copy to show Ofsted inspectors.
    As you can see it is all a little bit of a blur - and so way out of my comfort zone! (The paperwork that is - not the child care bit! )
    I would be grateful for any suggestions or templates that I can 'pinch'
    Thanks again
    Totally up to you and as said below we are different and do things differently and for 'different' purposes...often duplicating info sharing so a word of caution! don't add to paperwork

Daily diaries are not compulsory and neither are LJs...you can track children's progress any way you like and present it any way you like and call the evidence what you like.

Dairies can become boring and repetitive and some parents hardly read them or input ...use them for quick exchanges of info
    Could Planning not be displayed on the wall for ALL parents as could the menu instead of having to write the same over and over again?
    Do parents need to know exactly when you changed a nappy or the time the child slept or would they prefer to know if there are variations in the routine??

Some CMs can use diaries effectively

Also they should not be for development...but as said anyone uses them differently...whatever suits you but make sure you don't duplicate and spend much time doing unnecessary and paperwork that is taking too much of your time

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the attached - took it to a local printer and they did a years worth, double sided for £5
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Debbie

Dec 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thank you for all your replies. Lots to think about and great advice. Thanks. I think I will record notes and Wow moments and signiicant issues in a daily diary and then will write them up weekly in their learning journal.
    I do like the hand over sheet too - may want to reduce it a little and I so hate paperwork!