Do I still need to observations and a LJ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I still need to observations and a LJ?

I have an ad-hoc contract for a 3 year old. She attends a pre-school for her 15 funded hours, her Mum is a shift worker and we have an ad-hoc contract, so Mum will literally request days and pay for them in advance. This will be Term Time Only. Next week I have the children all day Monday and then Tuesday 2 hours before pre-school and 2 hours after. The following week is on 2 hours before and 2 hours after again/

I was still planning on having a scrapbook for her, just all her photos etc, in it. But will I still be required to do the whole Obs and LJ? Even though she will be at pre-school as her main place of care, and me just inbetween.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

If ofsted come calling they will expect you to be following r child's interests, know where she is developmentally and where she is going, how you support that etc.

A learning journey is not mentioned as a compulsory part of the eyfs, tracking their developemnt is, how you do that is upto you.

You will need to be linking with preschool, as you are sharing care albeit ad hoc.

Could mum borrow the lj from pre school and you photo copy some bits so you have next steps to work on and offer to send in any obs and next steps you identify. With such a ad hoc agreement I would do a daily diary come learning journal combined, ask mum if pre school will add to it too. Photo copy any letters mum gets from preschool and stick them in daily diary.

3. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes you do - but you can do the minimum and record it over time. Just think about starting points, observations, assessments linked to EYO, individual planning, parent input, working with the other setting etc for a part timer - you don't need huge amounts of paperwork so think about how to record it quickly so you can show the child is making good progress in as few words as you can xx

5. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I have never had a connection with this pre-school before. All my minded children have attended the playgroup that I chair the committee for so, working with them is pretty easy

It will be nice to link up with another pre-school, and get networking a bit more.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I would concentrate more on the Learning Journey than the scrap book. Printing and annotating photographs takes time and money but Ofsted want to see evidence of her learning. I have just been to parents eve at my DD's reception class and her 'learning journey' was full of random photos which told me absolutely nothing about her learning or her progress (I'm not sure she has made much progress to be honest). I find brief observations take up less of my time.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maza View Post
    To be honest I would concentrate more on the Learning Journey than the scrap book. Printing and annotating photographs takes time and money but Ofsted want to see evidence of her learning. I have just been to parents eve at my DD's reception class and her 'learning journey' was full of random photos which told me absolutely nothing about her learning or her progress (I'm not sure she has made much progress to be honest). I find brief observations take up less of my time.
    Thank you. Usually I have a scrapbook with photos and notes from me and the children. As they get older, they cut and stick the pictures in themselves, along with some artwork, this is mainly as a 'gift' to parents when a child leaves, something nice. I do have a display folder with all obs, assessments and next steps... the 'boring Ofsted folder' as it is apprently now called LOL!!!

Simona Guest

why is a portfolio/LJs now called a 'boring Ofsted folder?

I have never heard of this before and certainly not in this forum...why do people call it so?

In response to the original question ...this child is getting free education and comes ad hoc...so he/she will be with you very little so important the preschool communicates with you but a full blown LJ is not required...there are other things w you could do to evidence progress via observations and put photos in there

Good luck

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    why is a portfolio/LJs now called a 'boring Ofsted folder?

I have never heard of this before and certainly not in this forum...why do people call it so?

In response to the original question ...this child is getting free education and comes ad hoc...so he/she will be with you very little so important the preschool communicates with you but a full blown LJ is not required...there are other things w you could do to evidence progress via observations and put photos in there

Good luck
    One of my parents made a joke about the LJ and the scrapbook. Because the LJ is just obs and assessments, nothing massively exciting for the parents to look at it is mainly for me and Ofsted, but the scrapbook was full of photos, artwork, stickers, something nice for parents etc. The parent looked said how wonderul the scrapbook was, and was so much nicer than the 'boring Ofsted folder'

I didn't mind at all, to be honest, I wanted her to love the scrapbook LOL! A nice keepsake for them to treasure.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    One of my parents made a joke about the LJ and the scrapbook. Because the LJ is just obs and assessments, nothing massively exciting for the parents to look at it is mainly for me and Ofsted, but the scrapbook was full of photos, artwork, stickers, something nice for parents etc. The parent looked said how wonderul the scrapbook was, and was so much nicer than the 'boring Ofsted folder'

I didn't mind at all, to be honest, I wanted her to love the scrapbook LOL! A nice keepsake for them to treasure.
    Coming from a parent that is telling isn't it...all they want is their children happy and cared for....and not too many things to have to look at.

Just goes to show what we do is for the children not Ofsted....personally I only do a portfolio which is exciting for parents and children who seem to revisit it when they are older recalling so many nice things!!
    Thank you for explaining...I had visions of having to do something else for Ofsted

12. Likes EmmaReed84 liked this post
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Coming from a parent that is telling isn't it...all they want is their children happy and cared for....and not too many things to have to look at.

Just goes to show what we do is for the children not Ofsted....personally I only do a portfolio which is exciting for parents and children who seem to revisit it when they are older recalling so many nice things!!
    Thank you for explaining...I had visions of having to do something else for Ofsted
    Every single parent I have taken on, is not bothered about all the LJ's all of them have said the same thing "as long as they are happy, we are happy"

Even a parent who runs childcare courses and knows what should be done, has said she thinks it is too much!

14. Likes Maza liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    Every single parent I have taken on, is not bothered about all the LJ's all of them have said the same thing "as long as they are happy, we are happy"

Even a parent who runs childcare courses and knows what should be done, has said she thinks it is too much!
    I admit I have done Portfolios long before Ofsted arrived on the scene...so that is many years...for me LJs are a celebration of children's achievements and something to treasure for life both by parents and children alike

The whole thing is losing sight of what early education and childcare is all about in my view...it is about children, nurturing their need for knowledge and supporting them in their journey to school which is now far too soon...it is not about not blooming Ofsted!!

We could all present sterile records with no photos.... stating where the outcomes are being achieved and all that jazz...just ticking the right boxes really but we won't do that I know!