how to start observations?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how to start observations?

In terms of the starting points, do you write up a paragraph or so about where the child is developmentally in all of the 7 areas? (or just prime if they're under 3) So, for example in PSED they could be at 0 to 11months but in PD they could be at 8-29months? So you'd write that, and give examples why?
    And what if some of the things in PSED the child does are 0-11 months but one or 2 things are 8-20months? How would you explain this?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    In terms of the starting points, do you write up a paragraph or so about where the child is developmentally in all of the 7 areas? (or just prime if they're under 3) So, for example in PSED they could be at 0 to 11months but in PD they could be at 8-29months? So you'd write that, and give examples why?
    And what if some of the things in PSED the child does are 0-11 months but one or 2 things are 8-20months? How would you explain this?
    Starting points are observations of what a child can do according to age and stage of development

You may observe a child is well within his age as 'expected'...or his skills are just 'emerging' or indeed the child has gone in advance of the age bracket 'exceeding'.
    That is why the age bands overlap

Once you have observed for at least 2 weeks for a new child or for one who comes to you from another provider you want to ensure the child can do what they have assessed for.

After that consult DM and EYO and plan his next steps to support emerging skills or move on to new ones.
    Hope this helps

How do you record & measure children's starting points? | Morris & Simmons Education LtdMorris & Simmons Education Ltd
    If you google 'starting points' there are lots of useful downloads to read and understand about them

3. Likes FloraDora liked this post
    Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Starting points are observations of what a child can do according to age and stage of development

You may observe a child is well within his age as 'expected'...or his skills are just 'emerging' or indeed the child has gone in advance of the age bracket 'exceeding'.
    That is why the age bands overlap

Once you have observed for at least 2 weeks for a new child or for one who comes to you from another provider you want to ensure the child can do what they have assessed for.

After that consult DM and EYO and plan his next steps to support emerging skills or move on to new ones.
    Hope this helps

How do you record & measure children's starting points? | Morris & Simmons Education LtdMorris & Simmons Education Ltd
    If you google 'starting points' there are lots of useful downloads to read and understand about them
    Good article.
    I start with a pen portrait based on parents info and my early observations, it really makes you focus on the child and what you know. Which then makes next steps easier to plan.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You might find this useful in forum free downloads as well

Starting Points

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone that's all really useful x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    Good article.
    I start with a pen portrait based on parents info and my early observations, it really makes you focus on the child and what you know. Which then makes next steps easier to plan.
    I use that system but never knew it was called a 'pen portrait'...glad to have learnt that and yes doing the next steps is soooooo easy afterwards...I sometimes do starting points for nearly a month than I have a wealth on obs and info...

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been doing starting point for the last 3 weeks for 2 of my LO's who started pretty much at the same time and there's so many obs I'm worried it'll be too much by the time I get going!

Do the starting points need to be in the learning journey (if using one) or do they need to be in a separate planning folder?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kaybeaa View Post
    I've been doing starting point for the last 3 weeks for 2 of my LO's who started pretty much at the same time and there's so many obs I'm worried it'll be too much by the time I get going!

Do the starting points need to be in the learning journey (if using one) or do they need to be in a separate planning folder?
    Try to link your obs to the level of development in DM...is what you are observing what they should be doing or is it starting to emerge as a skills?
    do you see them doing that regularly? if yes that is what they can do, jot down the obs
    Only write the obs that you feel give you a real picture of their skills...do not write hundreds or it will confuse you

When my kids start I do write the following in their LJ under each of the Prime Areas:
    Starting points: this is what 'Jonny' can do. (Jan-March 2014) I always observe these for 2 months
    then I bullet point what I see and is important (at the training I did today SP were mentioned over and over and Ofsted will want to see where you start with children)

At the end of the time I do a short assessment, give it to the parents to read and feedback...then I start the next phase to move them on

Next steps....I agree those with parents...what do I want them to achieve? how? by following their interests: trains, treasure basket, moving around safely while exploring etc
    I take photos and write a bit under to reinforce what I see and comment on their CoEL

Sorry if not clear...if you were here it would be so simple to show...give it a go and come back

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be giving that a go. Thanks Simona that's incredibly helpful