Where do you record childrens behaviour - positive and bad? Please help- confused.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you record childrens behaviour - positive and bad? Please help- confused.

Hi Guys,

I'm a pre-reg just getting everything together and I'm a bit stuck about where I'm supposed to record everything. For example if a child helped another child tidy up, I would make a note and put that in his learning journey right? But if a child made a mess and refused to help clean up, would I record that? if so where would it go? I get the impression that Learning Journeys are supposed to be all positive.
    The main question is can anyone clarify what information goes where? Learning journeys, daily diaries, development tracker books.....
    I'm really struggling to find clear concise info on what records to keep where. Any advice of tips would be gratefully received.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

All of my under 5's have a diary and if I need to let parents know of good or bad behaviour I note it down, or I might mention to parents at pick up time that they haven't been very co-operative today Then we can work together to hopefully sort out any unwanted behaviour.

The LJ is to show and record development, so helping to tidy up would go in there as an observation and a link to an area of dev matters. In my LJ's are pictures of the child doing something and achieving something new or improving on something like, 'Today I climbed further up the climbing frame and sat myself down before coming down the slide' dated, the age and what it links to (PSED,PD)

HTH
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I put good behaviour in the learning journey. Negative behaviour I discuss with parents initially and if it continues, I keep them informed through the daily contact book/diary.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always just add it to LJ as a quick couple of lines observation, "X had great fun tipping all the toy boxes upside down and emptying the toys but wasn't as enthusiastic when it came to putting toys back in boxes again" - with next steps as "try to find a fun way to encourage X to help tidy up the toys" Sometimes I ask one child to tidy up the cars and another to tidy up the duplo and make it into a race as who can finish first or sometimes I give them a colour of object to tidy up, someone doing red and someone doing blue or can everyone find 3 things and put in the right box.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I put everything in the daily diary. I would also speak to parents if bad behaviour was a problem or if I was pleased with good behaviour.