Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Reception Child

Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reception Child

I've got a new child who has just started in reception at the local primary school.

Do I need to do a learning journey for her with obs and links to her learning and development or can I just do a scrapbook with photos and a few words to show what she's been up to?

Thanks for your help

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is an explanation in the eyfs.It says about complimenting the learning at school, how you do that is up to you. Scrapbook is good idea and keeping good links with school. See eyfs section1, 1.3, wrap around care.

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a scrapbook for after schoolies - they fill it in, not me, write in any pics and sometimes I ask what snacks they like, what they like for tea, what do they like doing after school and we stick a list in and the odd photo. I got parents to give me photos of the family and they stick them in and thats it.

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

All my schoolies have a scrapbook and in it I try to show how I'm linking to their experience at school. It had photos, wow moments as even the older ones have these and art work in it
    If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a reception child who was already with me so I am just sticking the occasional photo ob in his LJ.
    I do have scrapbooks for my Schoolies but although I suggest putting bits in etc they are not that interested!

6. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have 2 boys after school age 5 and their sister age 7. I got them scrap books but they don't want to do them and I stopped recording obs when the boys turned 5, should I still be doing obs then? :-/

8. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Jul 10
    Post Thanks / Like

A scrapbook is fine.

I also talk to children's teachers and record what we have talked about and what they are studying at school. If possible, I do activities related to this and note that I am 'working in partnership' with the school in my SEF.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bakez66 View Post
    Hi, I have 2 boys after school age 5 and their sister age 7. I got them scrap books but they don't want to do them and I stopped recording obs when the boys turned 5, should I still be doing obs then? :-/
    you should still be doing the occasional ob until the end of reception year, regardless of when a child turns 5! I have a mindee who was 5 in September ... I will be doing obs until he is nearly 6 !!!

Simona Guest

Moggy is right...we should complement the learning that takes place in Reception according to EYFS
    some observations could be very valuable indeed to share with the school if they are open to sharing info with another provider or CM?

I also remember that Truss said this requirement is not necessary so I would say there will be a change in this when the EYFS gets another review but until that comes out we need to do according to our interpretation...just in case.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say a scrapbook would be fine and just occasionally add a little observation

Post Thanks / Like

Once the children start school I don't do a learning journal for then anymore. I start to add their arts and crafts, photos etc to our after school/holidays club scrap book. Whatever topic we are covering usually has at least one thing from everyone there as they also like to take a lot gone. I write the child's babe and age and give a brief description of what we have been doing. X

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe a learning journey with photos and proof of activities which support the child's schooling is enough. The school takes over with the majority of the EYFS work once in reception.

There is no way I would have time for observations on a child that I have for two hours per day. It can take an hour to return from school and a further hour to cook tea and get it on the table for six children whilst simultaneously helping with ongoing activities, wet pants, scraped knees, arguments, conflict resolution, hand washing and parents turning up early! WONDER WOMAN!

Per-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    you should still be doing the occasional ob until the end of reception year, regardless of when a child turns 5! I have a mindee who was 5 in September ... I will be doing obs until he is nearly 6 !!!
    The boys turned 5 in July and they started year 1 in September so I don't need to do obs now they've reached year 1 is that right?