Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Orbit and other software packages

Hi all, does anyone use Orbit and if so what do you think of it?
    I'm thinking of using it but would love some proper (and if possible detailed) feedback first. Also any advice about any other software people use would be much appreciated too.
    Thanks

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

yes really very good.

Free, easy to use, also an Iphone app so can use to take photos and attach learning areas.

can choose emerging, developing or secure so if you have seen the beginnings of something then you can know you can develop it or plan for it.

You can attach as many children to the observation as you like.

There is an area to write extra comment and next steps if you want to write something about individual child. There is also area to write comment if you don't want others to see but just for your own personal planning.

I did have a teething problem where I failed to add the areas of learning properly, tried to fix it myself, made it worse and froze myself out of the child's learning but I did get a response from Orbit to advise and sort. By this time I had already set up a new account as the first one I was just playing about with and experimenting.

I also like it because it produces a PDF learning journey. I save this onto my computer every week - just in case I ever lock myself out again or if the company stopped or something - just a precaution. I can e-mail it to parents or even another setting if i wanted. This has saved me so much time from printing out photos and going back and adding areas of development.

I also really like it because it has the characteristics of learning. which you can add to the observations. you can add as many areas of learning and characteristics as you like as some activities cover more than one.

I know this sounds silly as well but it has the age of the child in months at the top of the page when you are adding an observation - I was always counting on my fingers to calculate exactly what age the child was in months (sad i know)

When you look at the child it lists all the areas of learning and development and you can see how many observations have been added to each one so I can see by looking if I have neglected one area (or just haven't seen it) which is helpful for planning. you can filter it too so you can see just the age relevant to the child (you don't want to see all of it if they have been with you since birth and are now 3!)

I trialled the 'other one' there is a lot there that i didn't want to pay for or felt i needed. When i asked them why i couldn't add the characteristics of learning they didn't understand my question the first 2 times and then said 'the characteristics are not a tick list that must be crossed off and therefore are not included'
    Personally I think the characteristics of learning are as important if not more important so like to add them whenever i can but i agree its not a checklist but neither is all the other stuff - its ongoing and all children are different
    I did not get on with the 'other one' that you have to pay lots for. the one we are not allowed to say on here to do with babys and days

The orbit system is reliant on signing up about 40% of parents I think to get full use of the reports etc but I haven't really used this.

The parents get e-mail notification of updates and then they can log on to their own child and see a stream of photos and observations. The parent side of it is not as professional looking as the setting side because the parent side has advertising which is how the site is funded.

The other one that I have seem is Tapestry - a local pre-school and the local reception class use it. I'm volunteering in reception this term and did my first morning on Thursday. You pay a fee to subscribe as a member and then a fee to have the system but all together its £50 I think. definitely worth looking in to - I would have given serious consideration had I not already started on orbit.

I think it has ways to communicate between providers too.

Anyway sorry that is a really longwinded answer.

I feel it is improving my observations, my communication with parents, my next steps and planning. Its nowhere near as 'pretty' as my scrapbooks with loads of photos and hand written comments but even my ofsted inpsector said i was doing too much!! (and i wasn't doing it regularly i was saving it up and doing about 2 months worth at the same time of 10 children + - ridiculous waste of a weekend and not keeping on top of the children's current learning at all!) so yes I am really pleased with it.

You'd have to consider your data protection and whether you are happy to have childrens details online in this way and get parents permission and thinnk about safeguarding.

I don't put the childrens surnames on - it has their photo, first name, second name initial and their date of birth. Think that putting their surname on would make it obvious who it was should the material get into the wrong hands, although the system assures safe systems.

I hope I have helped but if you want to ask anything else I would be happy to answer.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just started using Maxjournal on the iPad, as someone in here mentioned it. It's not a specific app for early years but its fab

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Bluelion...i could kiss you!! That was exactly the detailed type of response I was hoping for!! Have been debating back & forth but really wanted someones honest and detailed opinion on it. The thing is when you are having a quick glance at them you can't really tell how its gonna to assist you with everything and if its going to be that beneficial to be worth using it. It's only someone who actually uses it that can tell you that. So I really can't thank you enough for your reply. It's helped alot!!

Will have anose at the other you mentioned first though before chossing. Feeling much happier now though!!

5. Likes Bluebell liked this post
    OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Also never heard of maxijournal but will have a peak at that one too!!!
    Thanks

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the unmentionable and love it x im aware its not everyones cup of tea but I have parents who love logging in and seeing all the info in one place x

I love that it does my invoicing and expenses too x

8. Likes Bluebell, gazanne liked this post
    Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it sounds silly but I set up my account and then set up my own child and then did a few photos and made up observation just to see how it worked - because i have a personal e-mail address and childminding e-mail address I then set up myself as a parent so I could see what the parent sees. It was really helpful for playing around and seeing how useable it was.
    I didn't want to spend ages setting up all the children and then find I wasn't interested

(it doesn't take that long - just need their date of births and if you are going to add parents the parents e-mail address and a photo to add of the child)

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Actually you can use the same email address to be both provider and parent. I did a similar thing to you, bluelion, as I wanted to see what parents would see. My only gripe is that I find orbit really slow, sometimes takes five minutes to add one observation.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like to add, I use it and also have myself added as a parent on be with permission to see it as parent does so to speak and it's excellent, big pictures with a discreet button under observation photos that they can click on, so they can choose whether or not to read all the assessment info. I am also starting o get to grips with the tracking and ave recently used it to do a two year report, come out really well looked very professional.

12. Likes Rick, Bluebell liked this post
    OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for all your comments. Bluelion I'm having a play on it at the minute but can't seem to find the coel's. Am I missing them?
    Also trying to have a nose at Tapestry but you have to pay & so can't really see if its any good for childminders...does anyone use Tapestry? Will put that on a new thread too just incase!!
    Thanks everyone again x

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are you looking for the Coel's when you do an observation? You save an observation, then click on "Add assessment" and it comes up with choice of COEL, custom, DM and ELG.

Does that help?

OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you have been hunting & just couldn't see it & thought I was losing the plot...which I probably am to be fair!! Thank you x

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Tapestry do a one month no obligation free trial? Thought I saw that it did but may have imagined it!

17. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    OCT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelion View Post
    Does Tapestry do a one month no obligation free trial? Thought I saw that it did but may have imagined it!
    Hi no it doesn't unfortunately. You said you've seen this system...what did you think of it? Looking at the info on it I couldn't tell if it was suitable for CMs or not.
    Thanks so much for all your advice & comments on this thread....very much appreciated!!!

19. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Are all these formats just for a phone. I don't use my phone as a camera so may just continue to do if on paper.

May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can use orbit on a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sing low

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry only just seen your question. I have seen a very brief glimpse of tapestry in the reception class I am volunteering in for a couple of hours a week. It looks very similar to orbit in that you add the children and then can add the development.
    It looks very sleek and professional. If I get more of a look or a go tomorrow I'll let you know!! I would say it would be suitable for childminders.

24. Likes Rubybubbles liked this post
    Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAZBAZ55 View Post
    Hi no it doesn't unfortunately. You said you've seen this system...what did you think of it? Looking at the info on it I couldn't tell if it was suitable for CMs or not.
    Thanks so much for all your advice & comments on this thread....very much appreciated!!!
    I use Tapestry it's brilliant! Completely suitable for childminders I have shown a few local childminders who have now signed up too I've been using it since April. Parents love it, and I love the fact I can do it on my phone, or main computer, for the first time ever I am always up to date with observations and planning (you can add next steps onto the notes/comments )
    Last edited by Rubybubbles; 25-09-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked at that tapestry looks good, but my local authority are not on fsf list does that mean its a total no no for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast