Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parent asking me to pick from nusery

I have had a parent ask me to collect her twins from a nursery at 5pm.

How do I tell her nicely no, as I do the same job as a nursery in a different way.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Just like that "sorry but that is not one of the services I offer, i could however look after your little one all day while you are at work"

nudge nudge, they might just ask what your fees are and you might fill another place if you would like to?

3. Likes rickysmiths, bunyip liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Some parents do have a cheek. I had one come and see me for before and after school care. Newly moved into the area they had always used a Nursery. I asked if they had ever considered a childminder before.

The response was instant ' Oh no, I didn't want my child to form a relationship with only one person'. Oh really so why not get your precious Nursery to to the before and after school care then!!

5. Likes kellyskidz!, bunyip, cupcake22 liked this post
    Simona Guest

I am intrigued Mice and Toad...why would a parent ask a cm to pick up at 5pm from a nursery that is very possibly open until 6pm anyway?
    Has she not considered that that time is the busiest for you as a cm trying to feed children, get them ready to go home and maybe deal with homework?
    Not worth all the paperwork and messing up the children's routine just for 1 hour...but there may be a good reason behind the request?

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe incase she is running late and can't get to nursery for 6? If she commutes a long way she probably assumes you will be happy and able to hold on to her child indefinitely until she can get there. As if there is train problems or a massive motorway accident then she could be delayed a very long time.

I think some parents don't fully understand what a childminder does. I had one enquiry ask if I could just pick up from school (one I don't cover) and drop their child home. I suggested finding a cab firm that does school runs.

8. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Noooo I wouldn't do this, i imagine that the nursery staff would be so smug that they've looked after her all day and hand over to you for you get the time where the child will likely be miserable, tired and mardy. Tell mum that as a childminder you are caring for children all day and are very busy at that time so it wouldn't be viable but you do offer full time flexible childcare if she needs you xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I must be missing something as I don't see a problem with it! If a cm had the spaces & wanted to do it, then why not?

I used to drop a little boy off at a private nursery. Admittedly he went there because I didn't have space for him, but I was quite happy to have him for an hour in the morning then drop him off at nursery.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I also don't see much wrong with the enquiry.

Who knows if you were to do it she may realise that the children will be better off fulltime in your care.

We don't see anything wrong in wrap around care for school so why not for nurseries especially if you work later than the nursery
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If you need to say "no", then say "no". Clearly this wouldn't suit some CMs whilst others would be happy to consider it.

I'm not of the view that clients are 'cheeky' if they request something beyond the usual run-of-the-mill. I do all sorts of odd things, like occasional weekends, that some CMs would regard as a 'cheeky' request. If the parents don't ask, they're never going to find out (and I wouldn't be earning a bit extra, either.)

Smug nursery staff? Frankly, I'd be surprised if they even care. And if they did care, I certainly wouldn't care that they cared.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Smug nursery staff? Frankly, I'd be surprised if they even care. And if they did care, I certainly wouldn't care that they cared.
    The staff at the nursery I dropped off at were lovely. One of them had been my eldest child's key worker when he was at nursery & it was lovely to catch up with her again. We used to have quite a chat when I dropped mindee off as she was genuinely interested in what I did. In fact, the girls in the nursery were quite jealous that I ran my own business, did what I wanted...and was back off home for a free day while they were looking after 'my' mindee

We were all quite sad when mindee left nursery & our contact stopped.

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! I wasn't calling nursery staff really, just I dislike some of the staff at my local nursery. They protested against me setting up a cm business and always give me awful looks through the window when i pass so perhaps I'm a little bitter. I could just imagine them if I had to pick up a child from there, they'd love it, imagining I only provided wrap around care or something.
    But yes, I realise now that was a personal issue coming out- take on the after nursery care if you like, I'll bet they're more pleasant than the one round here

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    When I worked in a nursery I would have cared that the end of the day/ transition was easiest for the children. If that meant going to another setting for under an hour, then that would be fine; although to be honest inside I would be gutted that my setting wasn't meeting their needs. I only have experience of a few nurseries and I know I was lucky, but I can't imagine this would have happened in them; we gave each child the care they needed right up until the end of the day, and the last part of the day was usually lots of stories and cuddles.

As to why the Mum wants the pick up: In many nurseries lots of children are gone by 5 and so staff numbers reduce and different age groups often join up in one room so that they can be safely supervised. Maybe the LO's don't like this move? Or maybe if the nursery charge sessional fees and staying past 5 tips Mum into buying more sessions, it is cheaper to use a CM for that time? Or maybe the nursery has had to reduce it's operating hours? They would need at least 2 staff on the premises, and if there aren't enough children to make it pay they might have to close earlier?

Anyway...hope it works out for Mum and twins.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyskidz! View Post
    Oh no! I wasn't calling nursery staff really, just I dislike some of the staff at my local nursery. They protested against me setting up a cm business and always give me awful looks through the window when i pass so perhaps I'm a little bitter. I could just imagine them if I had to pick up a child from there, they'd love it, imagining I only provided wrap around care or something.
    But yes, I realise now that was a personal issue coming out- take on the after nursery care if you like, I'll bet they're more pleasant than the one round here
    My misunderstanding . Sounds like you get on with the nursery a bit like I get on with some staff at the village school. They ought to value whatever care you offer, in any case.

I was thinking they'd probably be so worn out at the end of the day that they wouldn't have the energy for 'smug'. I certainly don't - I'm thinking more along the lines of "I love you, I love your family, I love your child, but please just take him and go. The pub is open and we're burning daylight."

17. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had the space and time I would do it but I would explain that I have a minimum charge of £25 per child per day and that they could come to you instead in the afternoons. If not they could pay me £25 per hour
    Debbie

19. Likes kellyskidz!, cupcake22 liked this post