Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: COEL

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default COEL

Just redesigned my termly assessment forms to incorporate these, as DO advised ofsted want to see some evidence of it...

I've read through the free resources, and googled bits, and read through the pages in the EYFS, but still not really sure how to document it. How in depth to go... I think I understand what it is all about - the way in which the child learns. How they use resources & opportunities, attention, attitudes etc...

For example, on one assessment I have briefly wrote 'X shows curiosity in the resources, and at the moment is showing particular interest in the lego and building blocks, as he has started to build with them.
    He will focus on these for a period of time, whereas the other resources don’t hold his attention for any length of time.'

He's 13 months old, so still a baby - mainly 'flitting' between toy boxes. If he spots something he likes, he crawl to it. Doesn't really 'engage' in much. He only started in Jan, and was quite unsettled for the first 6 weeks or so. It's taken ages to get him into a good routine.

I have an older child that loves putting toys inside everything!! So I would work with that being her COL, and as a focus for her planning.

Any help??????

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i have take the COEL and put a box on the bottom of my observation forms to show what COEL's that observation demonstrated and I tick those that were shown. I might also note or mention it in the evaluation of the observation.

I would not necessarily use COEL as a next steps/planning. Children will only engage or concentrate as they are ready for it.

If your LO is having fun putting things inside others that is sounding more like a containing schema. Schemas are great to plan for.

Make sure you have lots of bags, boxes and other things for them to put things inside. This one often develops into a transporting schema. So tipping into trucks/trolleys then moving and emptying the toys/objects into another container.

Does that help?
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I use ********* for my obs & LJ, so no way to link COEL into individual obs, hence why I thought about just putting a box at the bottom of my termly assessment, and generalising how they are currently learning.

Thought paperwork was meant to be decreasing?!?!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did you use Development Matters pre-2012 update?

If so the characteristics are mostly taken from the old PSED outcomes.

They are about how the child learns - and once you spot how they learn you can make sure activities for them meet their needs.

Do some reading up on schemas and learning styles as that will really help you