Learning Journey, obs & progress - what to do
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Learning Journey, obs & progress - what to do

Hi All,

I'm trying to get to grips with the paperwork side of things. I would be grateful of any help or advice/guidance.

Im newly qualified and have had my first mindee for about 6 weeks. When I went through my training my intention was to do a paper based learning journey book with photos, observation sheets, wow moments etc.

I got a well known software package as I thought it all looked very simple to do it that way (and less paper clutter)

However I'm having doubts that either of the methods are ticking all the boxes....

My question is really what do OFSTED require and what should I be doing?

2 possible methods.....

1.) The paper based method I was going to use:

I was told that dependent on the child it would be 1 or 2 observations per month and WOW moments probably once a week and on each observation there would be (for example)....
    - date of review
    - child's voice (perception of the child, how they enjoyed the activity etc)
    - parent/carer voice
    - comments on each of the 3 prime areas based on the particular obs.
    - PSED
    - PD
    - CL
    - other contributors
    - next steps

This seems easy enough but my other half has given his opinion that this way doesn't clearly show where the child is against where he should be by his age which is what he'd be interested in as a parent.
    I've also been told to concentrate on the prime areas as until the minded is older I don't specifically need to look at the SPECIFIC AREAS (lit, maths, utw, ead)......... Unsure if this is correct really.

2.) The computer system way...

This seems more comprehensive but doesn't display an individual obs on a single sheet of paper.
    Example....
    It would have a heading of
    PD - MOVING & HANDLING
    then

Turns head in response to sounds and sights, development age Birth to 11 months
    It then allows you to add multiple observations linking to the development matter + next steps if you want + allows you to enter a date when you feel it's achieved.

You can also set next steps and link into individual learning plans etc

It is comprehensive and shows clearly if a child is meeting their developmental milestones but maybe is too detailed and looks very different to what I've seen before from other CMs...

I also have another question... The child I'm minding now came to me at 16 months from another CM but I've not been provided with previous learning journey or anything......
    I've assessed over the settling in period which of the birth to 11 months and the 8 to 20 months to see where he is currently at...... 1.) did I need to do this? 2.) did I need to display individual obs evidencing this?

I'm just getting more confused by the minute and would be so grateful of any advice off anyone. If this doesn't make sense ill try and explain more clearly.

I guess I really want to know what OFSTED really want to see, come inspection time so as to get the best possible grading.

Thanks

Stacie

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Firstly what u have done so far sounds spot on- yes you need to assess where LO is his 'starting points'

It's has taken me best part if 18mnths to get the best system in place for me n I think everyone is different . I love my computer based system although it is not the big advertised system, I use mEYFS made simple. It does everything I want it to.

What do ofsted want ... Who knows? I ghink each inspector is different. You can have a look at other CM reports via the ofsted website. I'm finding this very useful to see what things they f picking up on and they r all v different.

Working with parents is big
    Starting points - current development n next steps.
    And
    Safeguarding
    Plus
    Self reflection- where n how u r going to improve.

Heristic play is also mentioned a lot-

I think it's trail n error with paperwork systems I hope u find something that works for u soon.

XT

3. Likes kellyskidz! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply....

How many obs would you typically do per child per month or week? Do you link in just the 3 prime areas or do you do the Specifics too?

I'm just concerned that I may be over complicating things or even not being detailed enough.

Confused.com lol

Post Thanks / Like

Also....

Do you need to list all of the development matters together with dates achieved?
    Do you need to have printouts of observations (1 per page)

The system i use is the big name £9.99 per month system.... Is it good enough to satisfy ofsted as far as learning journey, progress and obs..... Or does it need to be used in conjunction with other methods

My other half is happy to help me out where paperwork is concerned and already does my monthly invoicing and will do tax returns and the like......

OCT 97
    Post Thanks / Like

For a full timer I do roughly one a week, I tend to just do them on something new the child has done or focused on something I want to review so might do three in a week and none for a couple.
    For under twos I tend to stick to the prime areas.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Im always taking photos which acts as a prompt for an observation if not used with an observation.

My LO r all under 2 1/2 yrs so I concentrate on the prime areas n characteristic of effective learning g for the very little ones.

I have some that come 4 times a week n others only come once. - so for these I usually do an observation /wow moment each week the more regular visitors maybe 1 -2 a week.

I am now trying to a re cap each sch half term so a summary assessment, quick check development matters sheet n next steps /targets plans etc.

Have u come across Penny Tassoni's Practical EYFS Handbook both old n new show gd examples of observations n next steps. and I can not recommend Sarah knutsford s childminding ebook s enough all of the ones I have had have given so much advice n info in plain English.

I dnot know if I'm doing it right for ofsted but its right for me n I know where each child's is n what they like doing, having been doing and can do.

Aug 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stacieepg View Post
    Also....

Do you need to list all of the development matters together with dates achieved?
    Do you need to have printouts of observations (1 per page)

The system i use is the big name £9.99 per month system.... Is it good enough to satisfy ofsted as far as learning journey, progress and obs..... Or does it need to be used in conjunction with other methods

My other half is happy to help me out where paperwork is concerned and already does my monthly invoicing and will do tax returns and the like......
    I dnot think u need to list each n every DV each time for each observation.

But u do need to see/record it a couple of times - this is where the emerging- developing n secure terminology is used.

I dnot think ofsted r to concerned how the observation sheet looks but what it tells you. ( I think that's one of Sarah's lines )

A quick look ' started here in 3mnths is here' sheet could b useful I use a DV matters sheet n highlight all DV that are secure I do this roughly every 3mnths - different colour each time , slowing moving down the page completing more DV .

The computer system I use also has a graph option so takes the information added n produces a graph in relation to age n each area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou, I know the 3 prime areas are what I need to concentrate on but what about the 4 specific areas?

I'm struggling too see why they are in the development matters for ages birth onwards if I don't specifically need to report on them.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any examples of what they do for observations, linking to DM, next steps, learning plans and general assessment/progress. I'm thinking if I saw what others did I'd have more of an idea what to myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, one more Q... When sorting out the starting points which I've done would I be writing separate obs covering everything or is it sufficient to tick off that I think he is at this level at the point of starting with me? (Started at 16 months old). Previous CM will not pass anything on...

I've kind of done separate obs but has resulted in many many sheets of paper (1 ob per A4 sheet)

Also does 1 observation cover a DM being achieved or does everyone go on the
    1 emerging
    2 developing
    3 secure

Thanks

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

For starting points I have a print out of development matters in age ranges and high light all the things I think child is fully doing, I ask parents to highlight in another colour all the things they know their child can do well.
    This gives me a base to work towards next steps. I do not think it necessary to do three observations on the same thing to be sure a child is secure, I do a variety of observations over a term (12 weeks). I keep track of all the areas I have observed so I know which ones have gaps and I can plan obs in these areas. Because I know the children inside out I know when they are emerging or secure, I not going to observe and repeat observe that's making it hardwork and unnecessary.
    Whilst I concentrate on the prime areas, I find over the term the specific areas tend to get covered too. Also when I do an observation I link to one area and use this for next steps but also make note of another area the observation covered.

Observation on Belinda aged 3 weeks.

Belinda was alert, she enjoyed hearing me speak to her. What a little wriggle bum!

Links - physical development movement and handling
    Makes movements with arms and legs
    Next steps- let Belinda kick and stretch freely
    Also links to cll, uw.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked in the free resources? Sarah has donated some great stuff especially the observation one.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What Ofsted want to see Stacie is that the child is making good progress.

So you write down their starting points - taken from parents and your initial observations - and then you follow them up with observations, assessments (what area of learning and what age they are working at) and individual / next steps planning.

You share everything with parents and give them ideas for how their child can learn at home (in a non patronising, chatty way).

If the child goes to another setting you talk to them as well and make sure, as much as possible, that learning is complementary.

every so often you need to look back and check the child is making good progress across all areas of learning - otherwise they might be having problems which you haven't noticed.

So you go back to the Development Matters document, think about what you have observed recently and note achievements and any gaps in their learning.

This is where the 'emerging' and 'secure' comes in - you are not saying 'a child can do exactly what that DM statement says' - you are saying 'the child is doing that sort of thing so they are secure in that area of learning' OR 'the child is struggling with this so they are not secure - they are working below their expected age - we need to support them'.

It doesn't matter what system you use - but it must be accessible to parents - if they go online regularly then fine but I know my parents don't - plus they can come in and physically look through their child's file any time and I write down their comments - that to me is a much better way of showing evidence of working with them (for me!)

Hth

Post Thanks / Like

That's good thank you. I think I'm on the right track here then, in the initial starting points I'm taking what parent has said in person and my all about me document. My one thought would be parent hasn't got a massive amount of motivation to note down/inform me and is quite open about not having a great deal of interest in DM & EYFS (this is another challenge)

From discussion I can tick of some starting points as a guid and did many small ad hoc obs during the first few weeks gauging where the child is. Would I be expected to show full print outs of all the obs made during the settling in period concerning the DM that I would be "ticking off"?

Obviously the child is aged well past the birth to 11 months range and to be fair all prime in this are ticked off... Just wondering if. Need to document the individual ob on a sheet for these too.

I.e PSED - MAKING RELATIONSHIPS - LIKES CUDDLES..... etc

Yes it's quite clear that he does like cuddles and similar DM's

Is it acceptable to simply mark these off as being present with a mark off of "observed within starting/settling in period" or should I write an observation which covers this aswell?

I have a template I've created for observations which fits in with how I do things which is a single sheet of A4 for each observation/observed activity.

Thanks

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had two new Los start so first week was settling in, only have them Fridays, second week I looked at dev matters and plotted their starting points where they are currently and my ilp for each the ilp came from the next dev matters point for each area eg 11m still getting used to me so her ilp for last week was getting her to smile, laugh etc which she did this Friday and I got a photo so that's an obs a date linked for dev matters and next week ilp will be the next step on dev matters hope that makes sense and I do this for each of the five eyfs I have at the end of each week infact am just about to sit down now and do nxt weeks planning xx
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, when you plotted their starting points did you do this by making multiple obs of them or is it sufficient to say that LO started and was at this level and just mark this off?

I don't want to create unnecessary paperwork for myself but don't want to set the starting points with too little that ofsted criticize..

LO came to me at 16 months so is already naturally doing a lot of stuff esp the birth to 11m.

Thanks

apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I was also struggling with the starting point and have just read this post and found it very helpful.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

when you plotted their starting points did you do this by making multiple obs of them or is it sufficient to say that LO started and was at this level and just mark this off?

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by stacieepg View Post
    when you plotted their starting points did you do this by making multiple obs of them or is it sufficient to say that LO started and was at this level and just mark this off?
    If I've not seen it I just ignore it (say0-11 months when child is two) and just highlight what I have seen, this gives you the starting points, you can't highlight things that happened in the past as you have no idea if they did the, if you see h
    What I mean.

Just concentrate on what you know and move forward from that, I don't always do an observation at
    Giants things I highlight as starting points.