Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Online observation/ logbook system

I have been thinking for a while to start using an online based observation program (not too sure what to call it really).
    I found a few online, but I have no clue if they are any good.
    Can someone recommend a good, user friendly system?

Thank you!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some forum members use Orbit (not the sugar free gum) and find it helpful ... and free

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Another one to look into is *********. I personally use this one and find it irreplacable. It is down to personal preferences and what you would like it to do for you x. Good luck with your decision making :-)

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to print off a form and fill it in by hand, but now I am trying to do it on the computer instead and attach the photo (if I have one), I am still printing them off as I like flicking back through LJ to make sure I have covered everything. My typing and grammar is better and quicker than my handwriting.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much. Looking into orbit at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Orbits fab, takes a little while to find way round but easy when you've found everything, pm me if you need any help

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Orbits fab, takes a little while to find way round but easy when you've found everything, pm me if you need any help
    Thank you!!!!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I use online diaries and observation tools. It's ace. The parents have their own log in details so can see what I've been doing with the kids,

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! I've just set up with orbit and so far seems great.
    2 questions... Can anyone help!?
    A cm friend said I need to register and pay a fee with data protection agency. Is this true? How much and how would I register???
    Also what do you do for children out of eyfs. Do you/could you do observations, photos comments for their parents too? I often support with school work reading and we do other activities too. Ideally I'd like to use one process where I can for all the mindees.
    Thanks all

Jan12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the ICO website you need to go on to and register- cost £35 a year.

As for non eyfs children- I use ****** to log everything and a scrap book to put all art work etc into so I normally just do a scrap book for the older children. The details if all the children are entered into ****** tho as this is where I keep my register, permissions, policies and procedures etc so all my paper work is in one place. Mrs o liked how I was using the system and I got a good.

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone got a link for orbit as google is bringing up a lot of sites, thanks

Jan 11
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the link for the Orbit early year website: https://orbit.so/earlyyears

13. Likes vix84 liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Orbit

Quote Originally Posted by vix84 View Post
    Has anyone got a link for orbit as google is bringing up a lot of sites, thanks
    I put in orbit childminding and it brings it up

It looks good too - if I can get around it comfortably, would probably be better tomorrow when i'm not too tired

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

looks great but I have a blackberry phone, boo! Not due an upgrade till August I think and we recently bought a Microsoft mini laptop thing, wish Id have got an ipod now!

sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread but I have just joined Orbit and using it on my mac. Do Ofsted like it and are they happy for us just to use the online journals or do you keep paper journals too.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I have just joined Orbit and using it on my mac. Do Ofsted like it and are they happy for us just to use the online journals or do you keep paper journals too.
    We are getting a lot of comments from childminders who have been inspected recently and who are telling us that Ofsted want to see physical / written / typed Learning Journey files with parent and children's comments added to them - so if you do choose an online system my advice is to make sure you can print from it and that it doesn't use too much coloured ink!

Hope this helps

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    I use Orbit but I still print out all obs and stick them in the LJ along with photos and artwork, all in date order. Ofsted thought Orbit was great but you ought to print out as you might come across an inspector who won't look at your screen and you would be stuffed!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    We are getting a lot of comments from childminders who have been inspected recently and who are telling us that Ofsted want to see physical / written / typed Learning Journey files with parent and children's comments added to them - so if you do choose an online system my advice is to make sure you can print from it and that it doesn't use too much coloured ink!

Hope this helps
    Can you print out from Orbit? Just starting out and trying to figure out the best way to do all this....

sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started using Orbit. I printed out a copy from the PDF learning journey. Not sure if there is a different and better way to do it though.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knittaroo View Post
    Can you print out from Orbit? Just starting out and trying to figure out the best way to do all this....
    Yes you download a pdf of the child's entire obs record. I find where I got up to and just print from there. You could also email the pdf to parents as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast