Thread: Daily Diary

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Daily Diary

Hi all,

Could you please tell me what most of you do for the daily diary. Is it something you send home with the parents or do you just ask them to read and sign it before they go home?

What kind of things do you put in the diary?

I'm trying to get all my paperwork together while I am waiting for my results to come through. Isnt there soooo much paperwork I don't know how I will manage with it all!! If I wanted to work with so much paperwork I'd work in an office!!

oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Daily Diary

i use the short hand note book type pads and i send it home with the parents. that gives them a chance to write anythin down if they need to. one of my minddes mum uses it alot as dad drops of and is very forgetful at times!!!!

I just write breif description of what we have done including times they ate the time they slept for and wen their nappies were done and wot they were or how they have been on the toilet if just trainin,
    i dont go into huge detail but do write down if they have been happy/sad if they really enjoyed one thing. how they ate food etctec

Good luck with urs x x x x xx
    hey....who said that......show ur self......i no u r there.......I CAN HEAR U!!!!!!

Sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I do pretty much the same thing.

I have an A4 binded book though...my parents love them

Jx

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah,

I used an A5 hardback tesco notebook for my Daily Diaries. In there I put what we have done during the day (gone to town, library, painted, park, playdoh), but i keep it brief. I also write what the children have had for lunch, snacks and any milestones, important info such as an accident and things like that.
    I usually use up 1 A5 page per day.

I give it to the parents at the end of the week and they take it home, sign it, date it and put any comments.

They then bring it back to me on their first day back after the weekend.

I have been lucky as the parents haven't forgotten to bring the book back to me....yet

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that.

I thought you had to keep copies yourself in case anything untowards happens to the child when he/she leaves your setting - or am I being so paranoid?!?!

Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mummyof3 View Post
    Thanks for that.

I thought you had to keep copies yourself in case anything untowards happens to the child when he/she leaves your setting - or am I being so paranoid?!?!
    Soz I don't understand, I give the book to the parents at the end of the week and they take it home and sign it and bring it back on the child's first session back after the weekend, so therefore it is always with me. I never keep copies for myself as I have the diary - It's mine!!!

aug 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made up my own diary.

Name and date

how they were today?

Breakfast
    lunch
    tea
    drinks/bottles
    snacks

What time and how long they have slept

Nappies changes and toilet

what we did with my childminder

I have achieved this today

I have put these question on a5 paper and have made them into books which goes home with the children daily, also in the book is parent pages so they can write me messages and give me information on sleep eating earily or late pick up,

hope this helps

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I use an A5 book and use about a page a day for written information I write on the right hand page only and give details of what we have done and where we have been and who we have seen (we may bump into people that know the children but don't know me), I include what they have eaten and when they slept and also if I changed a wet nappy or a poo nappy and include if the poo was a bit iffy. What I also do is about once a month send photos and I then put these on the left page, I print them myself so I try and do this in an afternoon whilst they are asleep and print them on the day I took them (parents really like this bit), I have my own photo printer and I print two, or four to a page (4x6 photo paper) so it doesnot cost too much but ordinary paper would do the job.

The book goes back and forth every day and the parents very rarely forget to send it, if they do I just either talk to them at the end of the day or write on paper and send it home

Christine

Feb 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I used to use a book to write the information in but I found I was writing an essay each day! Therefore, I have a sheet with subjects such as: what I have achieved today, what I have played with today, I slept/didn't sleep and the times, nappy changes etc etc. I find this much more productive and the parents prefer this to my book. If you'd like me to send this to you pm me your email address and I'd be happy to help.
    Mrs.M x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do daily diaries.

I prefer to spend 10 minutes or so chatting with parents when they collect and talk about the childs day. The is especially good if the children can talk because they can join in. When necessary, perhaps if a child is not eating properly or something, then yes we have a daily note book in which we share things that we don't want to discuss in front of the children.

I explained all this to the Ofsted inspector and my reasons and she thought it was great that we shared things personally and that I took each case individually as to whether we needed written information sharing.

It is each to his/her own I suppose, but like Emma I don't want to be writing essays for each parent every night!!
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

i do diaries & love them - really should be doing one for my lo as i think that they would be great to look back on.

I write & do the same as most on here & do agree with Christine e - as i include photographs which the parents love.

Diary gets put in the lo's bag at the end of the day & so far - never they have never been forgotten

Katickles

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katickles View Post
    i do diaries & love them - really should be doing one for my lo as i think that they would be great to look back on.

I write & do the same as most on here & do agree with Christine e - as i include photographs which the parents love.

Diary gets put in the lo's bag at the end of the day & so far - never they have never been forgotten

I do all that type of thing in the child's Learning Journey books. They have photos, details of activities they have done, copies of work, paintings etc. these are shared with parents on a regular basis but not daily.
    Pauline x

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as Pauline

Angel xx

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I use cheap Tescos A5 book.

Write what they've eaten and drank

Nappy changes, times, etc

Sleep times

What we've done throughout the day

How they've been

New things they've learnt / said etc

Anything I may need parents to send that aren't in the bag

Although I've suggested to parents to write in the book, they never do.

I know they read it though and they do enjoy having it.

It gets sent home every night and gets brought back the next day, never been forgotten yet

Carol xx

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I now use daily sheets as I got fed up with parents forgettting the books, or losing them, which meant I had to buy new ones.

Include the same info as others

J
    x