Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orbit??

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Orbit??

I'm looking at trying to save myself some time starting afresh come sept. I was looking at Orbit and have registered and used my own child to create a 'child' so I could explore the features. I'm only looking at using it for ob's and then printing to put into LJ's (It will be quicker than my current system).

But does anybody who is using it know how to rotate the pics they all seem to be loading sideways (now matter how uploaded) and is the date changeable?? As atm it will date an ob's to the date I upload a pic??

Thanks in advance.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I have never heard of them and when I just googled I only came up with a housing assoc!

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

It was only launched June/July I think I read.. It's Orbit.so.
    I think it will work well for me if I can resolve these hitches I'm having or am I expecting too much from a free service??

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Edited to add

When you upload or otherwise submit data content to Orbit Services, you give Orbit Applications Limited a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, communicate, publish, and distribute such content.

Not on my watch!

Sorry, but free applications worry me

Actually, payable applications worry me too after the nobleminder debacle

jumpinjen Guest

If you want to write it on your computer then print out after, would you like me to help you make a document to save into your word programme that suits your planning/obs style so you can do it all without having to upload anything onto the net?? I only charge tea and cake!!

jen x

mar09
    Post Thanks / Like

Jumpinjen how far do you travel ???

jumpinjen Guest

depends how good your cake is!!

I can always do a telephone or e-mail consultation!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking at orbit looks great to me, if you look at their privacy statement it does say that childrens info will only be shared between you, parents and other care providers. Someone also emailed them to get clarification, hopefully they will be along soon to repost info, old thread has gone due to another issue, all sounded good though. I'm trialing them at the moment and have been emailing them about improvments, lots planned for near future, all sounds really well thought out. I will stil be doing small notebook between me and home, nappies, lunch etc, and for older ones scrap books so they can cut and stick their own fav pics in an album of their own. After considering some points brought up by Sarah on other thread I will be offering paper journals for parents without internet access so I remain inclusive. I will also be saving pdf versions to my computer or sky drive or similar incase the company collapses like the debarcle with noble minder.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I have been in touch with Orbit, with some of the concerns raised here, and today they have sent me this asking that I circulate it. If anyone has any concerns do contact them as i did from their website contact page.

Yesterday afternoon we were alerted to some comments on a forum in relation to who has access to the information that you record in Orbit.

The only people granted access to the data you input are: you, any Orbit users you have invited to join your provider as practitioners and any parents that you invite to share their child's records (and they can only see information relating to their child). One of the main drivers behind our creating Orbit is to make it easier for practitioners to share information with each child's parents - and to make it easier for parents to get engaged with their child's education - so secure information sharing between provider and parent is a central component of Orbit.

It seems that there is concern about who we share information with once you input it and this appears to relate to a misinterpretation of the Terms of Service of the website. In the terms, it states that by inputting data into Orbit, you provide us with a license to use, host, publish etc. data that is input. We need this license in order to be able to store the data you input and to make it available to you and anyone you've elected to share it with (other practitioners and parents) once you've saved it. In the privacy policy of the website there's a section specifically about what we do with the data belonging to children - and it also clearly articulates what we don't do with this information.

We have written the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy of the website in fairly large font (so, no small print) and in plain English (as far as is practical whilst still maintaining the legal nature of the documents). We want to be completely open and honest with users of Orbit about what we do and don't do with the information they record - rather than hide it away.

We hope that this statement allays your concerns and we hope that this helps!
    Last edited by Katiekoo; 30-07-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to note: I am not working for them, just want the facts before I sign up to anything!

Post Thanks / Like

That's fab katiekoo thanks, makes me feel reassured.

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

its going well - so thanks Zippy its just what I wanted a learning journey (I was not interested in daily diaries/policies etc)

one suggestion would be to add a baseline assesment page so that I can link from my old paper LJ's to their web based LJ's. (might email them eventually lol!!)

I received Oustanding in my partnership with parents (and as I know its not suitable for everyone and so will tailor it to individual parents/needs) I have NO daily diary, I text the parents through the day, and send photos, with my updated blog x

I have started to write a specific folder for policies relating to said web based files/info etc. I love my summer holidays x pmsl x

Post Thanks / Like

Assesment page sounds like a good idea, I ended up doing a sort of summerative assesment from old eyfs, and linked to new eyfs, so I could show a starting point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Assesment page sounds like a good idea, I ended up doing a sort of summerative assesment from old eyfs, and linked to new eyfs, so I could show a starting point.
    sorry should have added there that I wrote it up as just a normal ob

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hahaha more ideas x

-an app for android phones
    -ability to change dates, as I might put a bunch of obs up one day but they are from other days
    - a visual summary of what obs cover what areas (so no duplication)

Post Thanks / Like

I have emailed them about date thing and I think they're sorting that, send them an email they've very open to new ideas, the more people that ask the more likely there are to do it

Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been chatting with the guys at Orbit and they are going to be along soon, in the business section to join in and answer questions etc.
    Pauline x

Feb 91
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    I've been chatting with the guys at Orbit and they are going to be along soon, in the business section to join in and answer questions etc.
    Ooo Wow Pauline that will be great (not that i'm thinking of using it Yet, i've just sorted myself out with a pogo all-in-one camera)
    keeping my head down

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pauline that will be much easier, data team are implementing date thing this week, you can also now delete obs children etc so they're definetly listening to what people want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast